Customer reviews

on 11 August 2017
on 19 August 2017
Very enjoyable, I like the Jack Irish series. The characters are well described so that one gets a good mental picture of them. Plots within the main plot also manage not to detract from one another. In fact they are a welcome addition. I like his style of writing and larconic comments. His stand alone novels such as Broken Shore are just as well written.
on 6 November 2016
hardly a chapter goes buy without the author using the word 'noindent', which he has clearly made up himself. It's an irritating tic in an otherwise enjoyable book.
on 6 April 2009
For those whose main experience with the 'racing' novel genre is Dick Francis hold onto your hat this is going to be a bumpy ride. Fast paced, rough, even a little crude in manner this is the real racing world. No 'mysteries' about possible corruption; that's just taken as read and provides the background, not the meat of the story. Great observation of personal relationships as well as a cracking story make all the Jack Irish books well worth at least one read.
on 28 September 2006
After the disastrous tanker casualty of the Petros Jupiter off the Cornish coast, Trevor Rodin and his wife Karen watch the consequences of the oil spillage from their cottage garden at Balkaer. In a moment of irrational rage, Karen, armed with a flame-thrower, takes their boat and sets off towards the wreck of the Petros Jupiter, determined to set fire to the remaining oil contained inside the tanker in order to avoid further spillage. But what Karen does not suspect is that her action is going to cause a huge explosion which she can't survive.

Now Trevor is determined to go on an eye for an eye, life for a life mission, a dangerous hunt for those who put the Petros Jupiter on the rocks, for those responsible for the pollution and Karen's death. Trevor is going to start with Aristides Speridion, the second engineer of the Petros Jupiter, who fled after the disaster on a stolen dinghy and a Breton boat...

Stephen Thorne's reading is excellent.
on 22 January 2009
The 'Petros Jupitor' lies on the rocks, her tanks ripped open and the seas all round her heavy and dark with the filthy stuff that is leaking out of her. Trevor Rodin and his wife Karen, living in a tiny cottage on the cliffs by Land's End, have seen it all before, the oil slicks and the seabirds dying. For them the 'Petros Jupitor' is the last straw.

This is Hammond Innes at his magnificent best, telling the story of a woman who challenged the apathy of the authorities and by her terrible, appalling action sent her husband back to sea in an obsessive quest for truth.

And as the search moves from london to the Gulf, round Africa and back into the ship-congested Channel, Hammond Innes rips the covers off a world of fraud and piracy. A totally riveting story.
review image
on 24 April 2012
Fast paced Oz crime novel. If Jack isn't having his evil way with an attractive lady then he's probably being beaten up or watching his football team losing. If you like novels with plenty of twists and turns (I must admit I do sometimes lose the thread - blame it on old age) then this is a great read.
on 21 February 2014
I approached this book with a great deal of anticipation borne out of my enthusiasm for the two Jack Irish TV films shown recently.In my experience the books are generally so much better than the films. Unfortunately not so in this case.

True we get the sparkling and witty dialogue hence my three star rating but whereas in the films the colourful characters involved with the horses and the motley crew hanging out in the bar constantly reminiscing and bickering about the past glories of their football team added colour, However I found them a serious diversion in the book which effectively slowed down the narrative pace of the core plot. Added to that there was a hugely convoluted plot involving a complex corporate ownership and the book never really gathered any pace or tension till the second half of the book when the author finally focussed solely on the main storyline.

I confess I bought this book in a charity shop. I always intended to start reading them and it was purely fortuitous that I came across this. I will certainly give Jack Irish a second chance and buy "Bad Debts". The test for me as to whether I really rate them is whether I want to keep them in my collection and progress through the series or will I recycle them both back to the charity shop. Purely on the basis of "Black Tide" its destination charity shop but I am really hoping "Bad Debts" will save it.
on 5 January 2013
I am in the process of reading several detective book series in order and was recommended Jack Irish by a friend as I knew and liked Melbourne. I found the first book rather too like some of the detective series on TV, with excessive shoot outs but a complex storyline that encouraged me to try the second in the series.
I am glad that I did as it is a more complex story with the central character, Jack Irish, and his friends given greater depth of character. The Melbourne that is portrayed is somewhat different from that I know but completely believable as is the Australian attitude to life.
I am also reading the Rebus and Shardlake series and enjoy the completely different styles and vocabularies of each. I now know more about horse racing (in Australia) than I would have thought after seventy years of following most sports.
A good read that means I will continue to book 3.
on 28 January 2013
Gripping - and, more importantly, credible. Peter Temple can hold two or three different facets of the "hero's" life together in a consistent and believable way. So Jack Irish is a (former) lawyer, a part-time cabinet maker and has a private life consisting of horse-racing coups, an absent lover, a dead wife and a much loved daughter. All of this has a "back story" and, as in a good recipe, they add flavour to the book rather than clashing. Melbourne too is part of the story as a great city with a seamy underside (well, all cities) and even its variable climate adds to the flavour.

Possibly the best thriller series since Martin Cruz-Smith's Arkady Renko dropped down the ratings with "Three Stations".

A really good read.