Learn more Download now Browse your favorite restaurants Shop now Shop now flip flip flip Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn more Learn more Learn more Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more

on 20 June 2017
What a great follow up story. I did wonder if the brilliance of Eddie's first book could be continued. I'm delighted to say that not only does it continue, it gets better. Despite being 'on the wagon', Eddie is a infuriatingly moralistic as ever. And damn the man, he's always right. This is an excellent story, complex and intricately woven, with all the strands coming together at the end. There are twists and turns a plenty, kept me on my toes right to the end. The characters are so well drawn and believable. The work of crime scene examiners is so complex and detailed, it seems to me, in effect, they are the ones who should be called 'detectives'. Without their work, no crime would ever be solved. I finished this book in 24 hours and now can't wait for the third. About time we saw Eddie Collins on TV!
on 10 June 2017
This is another cracker from Andrew Barrett. A well written police procedural where you can guarantee that the "procedural " is spot on. The plot is well thought out and moves at a good pace, taking the reader on an emotional journey through a number of twists and turns. There is no way of working out what is likely to come next and at times one gasps at events.

I loved the final denouement of the investigation and found Eddie's solution very satisfactory too.

I'm not very good at being still & resting for any length of time but this did the trick for me today, keeping me in one place for the afternoon.
on 9 May 2017
An accidental killing for which another takes the blame.
An apparent murder/suicide.
Two brothers, sons of the local crime boss.
A terrified, abused girl
And Eddie, ready to throw it all away.

Another beautifully written novel by Mr.Bennett, featuring scene of crime officer, Eddie Collins. Moving skillfully between people and locations, the reader is taken on a ride of close encounters amongst the low life of Leeds and the struggle to bring justice to the perpetrators of horrible crime.
Absolutely rivetting, written by someone who knows how it really happens. Recommended
on 31 May 2017
Having been truly intrigued by Andrew Barrett’s first Eddie Collins Book, The Third Rule, I bought the other three books in the series straight away, Black By Rose is the second in the series and is just as good as the first, fast paced and as Andrew's “day” job is working for the Police as a C.S.I. his knowledge of procedure comes through. Eddie Collins is a really complex character but love him or not, he will keep you entertained all through the book. Andrew’s descriptive talent knows no bounds and his writing is sharp and punchy. I can’t wait to read Sword of Damocles ---------
on 2 June 2013
When I read Andrew Barrett's 'Third Rule' trilogy earlier this year, I struggled to imagine how the author's next book could top that. Having just finished 'Black by Rose', in my opinion this is even better, and that is no mean feat. 'Black by Rose' sees a return to the world of Eddie Collins, a man who is quite brilliant in his work but hates formalities, hates people, and quite often hates life. The book is a stand-alone story, but to fully appreciate Eddie's back story, I recommend reading The Third Rule - The Complete Story first.

Eddie Collins is a beautifully drawn character, with so much depth that you find it hard to believe he's fictional. He's sharp-tongued, has a black sense of humour and riles almost everyone around him. Yet, through all this, we see inside him and his heart is in the right place. Look beneath Eddie's rough exterior and there is a man who cares deeply, and when he is affected by something, so too is the reader. There was a very touching moment in the book when Eddie says 'excuse me' to an unconscious naked body as he is dealing with it. Eddie may be blunt and bad-tempered but there is a deeply ingrained streak of kindness and compassion running through him.

The book sees Eddie and his fellow workers trying to piece together murders and crime and link it all in with the gangs that are terrorising the region. I will not give any spoilers here but there are enough twists and turns here to make the reader giddy with excitement. I don't think that I have been wrong-footed so many times before in a book. You think you know exactly what's going on and then the author pulls the rug out with a daring revelation. Throughout the book, the author also plays cleverly with time to mislead the reader; this works to marvellous effect and at times I found myself putting the book down stunned.

The writing is urgent, exciting, at times upsetting, even terrifying. It is utterly convincing and extremely brutal where it needs to be. The author has a talent for describing a scene in a slightly different way from how most authors would describe it. On the very first page, the nightclub music 'pounded loud enough to create mime from speech', later on at a crime scene leaves were 'flicking back and forth in the breeze like tiny flags', rain beneath a streetlamp is described as 'amber spears of wind-driven rain scattering like starbursts', someone walking over the carpet 'stared at the carpet running backwards under his feet', a tense and silent car journey is described as 'half an hour old'... The angles the author takes when describing something potentially mundane are often highly creative and interesting, as these examples show, and it adds a depth and an overall beauty to the writing.

'Black by Rose' is a thriller but I think it is so much more. It has the power to shock, surprise and, above all, move. The complexity of the book is quite simply astonishing and the fact that the jigsaw comes together so satisfyingly shows off the author's immense talent. Make no mistake, this is a masterpiece.
2 people found this helpful
on 27 November 2017
Black by Rose is a brilliant book! Great to read more about Eddie Collins after The Third Rule. This was fast paced and gritty, it had me holding my breath. It also made me quite emotional & that’s when I realised how much the characters had grown on me - even the gangsters! A brilliant style of writing by Andrew Barrett.
on 28 January 2017
I have now read four of Andrew Barrett's books, The Third Rule, Black Rose, Sword of Damocles and Ledston Luck and haven't been able to put them down. If you enjoy Crime Thrillers you will love his books. Gripping from start to finish. Real life characters who are believable and interesting, great plot and a read that easily compares with Jeffrey Deaver, Lee Child, James Atterson, Patricia Cornwall and all the big names. Andrew is going places!
on 15 May 2013
I've been waiting for this book for what seems like ages, but boy was it worth the wait.

Fast paced, action packed the story follows Eddie, the SOCO, whose life is anything but dull. Dealing with crime gangs, personal problems and people who aren't what they seem, he has to deal with danger and attacks from all sides. You really get to care about Eddie and your heart is in your mouth when you read about what happens to him. He's not perfect but he's human and has his flaws. What will happen to Eddie?...you'll have to read it to find out. There are loads of twists and turns to keep you guessing. Although this is a stand alone book I think you'd benefit by reading The Third Rule to get to know the characters better. Also it's another great book.

I wanted to pace myself reading this book but that didn't happen. I had to keep finding out what happened next. As always, with Andy's books, it was really well written and always over way too soon, even though they're not short books.

If you like CSI type books that are fast paced, gritty and with great believable characters, this is the book for you.

I thoroughly recommend this book and can't wait for the next Andrew Barrett book to come out. I wish he could write as quick as I can read.
2 people found this helpful
on 8 December 2017
Another great book in the CSI Eddie series. I'm working my way through the series and it's given me an insight into what they have to face in their every day working lives.
I find these books really well written and they keep me glued to them until I've finished them.
on 29 January 2017
Okay Andy Barrett. I am totally hooked!
A confirmed fan of Eddie Collins.
With his quick wit, interspersed with pure sarcasm, his extremely dubious ways of bending the law, he comes across as a loveable rogue, rather than a cop!
This book just kept on giving and kept me page turning.
The mix of crime with flashes of humour is a great combination which works very well.
A 'must-read'.