The Black Rhinos of Namibia: Searching for Survivors in the African Desert Paperback – 1 Mar 2014
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Enter your mobile number below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
"A well-known nature writer travels to the Namib Desert, one of the oldest unchanged landscapes on earth . . . an exciting adventure." "Kirkus"" --This text refers to the Hardcover edition.
From the Back Cover
An extraordinary exploration and meditation . . . [Bass] transports us along on this wonder-filled tour, full of hardness and hope, into an otherworldly place that mirrors our own. "National Geographic Traveler"
Black rhinos are not actually black. They are, however, giant animals with tiny eyes, feet the diameter of laundry baskets, and horns that are prized for both their aesthetic and medicinal qualities. Until recently, these creatures were perched on the edge of extinction, their numbers dwindling as they succumbed to poachers and the ravages of civil war. Now their numbers are rising, thanks to a groundbreaking new conservation method from the Save the Rhino Trust: make sure that rhinos are worth more alive than dead.
Rick Bass, who has long worn the uneasy mantle of both activist and hunter, traveled to Namibia to find black rhinos. The tale of his journey provides a deeper understanding of these amazing animals and of just what needs to be done to protect them.
Bass provides a singularly thoughtful portrait of a unique animal, and a meditation on mankind s relationship to both it and the natural world as a whole. "Minneapolis Star Tribune"
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Science & Nature > Biological Sciences > Animal Sciences > Extinction & Endangered Species
- Books > Science & Nature > Biological Sciences > Animal Sciences > Habitats
- Books > Science & Nature > Biological Sciences > Animal Sciences > Mammals
- Books > Science & Nature > Environment & Ecology > Conservation
- Books > Science & Nature > Popular Science > Extinction
- Books > Scientific, Technical & Medical > Environment