on 7 May 2012
I bought this book on the strength of the authors previous books, namely the Star Crusades series. I have to agree with other reviewers here that this work shows the author is maturing as a compelling writer of sci-fi. Michael Thomas clearly knows his classics. Drawing on this knowledge he has seamlessly transported the story of the Anabasis into the future and created a rich universe for this tale to unfold. The story, as in the classic tale, is told from the perspective of Xenophon who is dragged into a war he did not want to be a part of and then is forced into exile to become a mercenary. The book is rich in action and moves along at a nice pace. It has some of the best written combat scenes in it that I have come across and reflects some of the political and social issues that engulf our world now. The future setting allows the author to re-examine these and the ancient tale and create something rather special. I am looking forward to starting book two.
5 people found this helpful
on 31 July 2014
An absolutely incredible and exciting sci-fi novel with a strong military theme, filled with a corruption of politics and agendas, betrayal, being chased across the galaxy, conflict and questioning of loyalty vs. survival, friendship, and romance.

Above all, the author weaves a great sense of camaraderie in the plot as demonstrated between the characters during the immensely intense battle scenes combined with great combat strategies that are both, real, vividly descriptive and packed with genuine real action. Great read!
on 30 September 2017
This is the story of xenephons 10,000 relocated into space and the far future. The idea of adapting that episode of history is good but I found the use of the Greek names and period details annoying and too like showing off.
on 23 January 2018
Am this book does ready take finish it. I think very good to ready for bed and good for people help to ready.
on 20 August 2014
I'd personally give this 3.5, but that's neither here nor there.

The book is very good, and is improved by having a very slight knowledge of the classics and ancient history - however any more and you start predicting what will happen, which is a tad irksome - perhaps in the future there will be greater variance, and that runs the risk of being jarring.

However for the most part it's a very interesting take on it, and unless you fall into what I would assume isn't a huge category, then it will be greatly enjoyable
on 19 March 2017
All fans of sci if should read this book, the arcane language just adds to the authenticity of the plot and the crossover to ancient Greece adds spice.
on 1 May 2018
good read
on 20 June 2012
I just wanted to say that I really enjoyed "Black Legion". I've always loved sci-fi on the TV and at cinemas, but never thought I would 'read' sci-fi. Maybe it was just this book but I really got into it! I'll definitely seek out other work by Michael Thomas
3 people found this helpful
on 10 August 2017
Full on battle scenes. Makes me wonder how the human race is to survive.
on 4 April 2013
A great story with classical nuances. Romans set in the future with technology. A more than good read, ( the only critical thing is the poor editing possibly due to the need of all e books to be summarized.)
One person found this helpful