Gave up on this at 50% couldn't get into it at all. Normally I love Katherine John (Trevor Joseph series) and have read the previous three books but this is the most disappointing one yet. Hope 'A Well Deserved Murder' will be better than this one.
on 9 March 2015
Well written and exciting, this is what a thriller should be. I read the last couple of hours in one sitting- I had to find out who did it and was surprised by the ending.
on 25 April 2017
I was spellbound, I found it difficult to put this book down.
on 27 October 2012
A really great book, kept my interest right through to the end, all seemed very real when reading it, the only criticism I would have is that it ended ratherly quickley as if someone has said right end it now and the writer did just that. Would recommend it to anyone who enjoys a good british detective novel
on 23 July 2013
I'm afraid I found this book to be very dull and unrealistic,I wanted to like it, I live in Cardiff where its set but even the references to some places I know didn't thrill me.I thought there were too many characters none of whom were very interesting and the action seemed disjointed,and I couldn't have cared less in the end,very disapointed that I wasted my time trying to read this.
on 12 August 2013
i have very little to say about this book as i read very little of it !!Not my kind of book so gave it just one star!!
on 11 July 2013
I'd only read one other in the Trevor Jones series, "A well-deserved murder", and this is much grittier than that. The start is violent, and after about halfway through it the body count begins to rise again. It's quite a page turner in its own way, though it is made clear that a bent policeman is involved, and as there isn't much choice (particularly after the cops begin to get killed off in rapid succession) it's fairly clear who is the culprit. The premise of a drug that is amazingly cheap and easy to make and yet so devastating is conveniently far-fetched. But what is missing, I think, is more of a motivation for the bent policeman's betrayal of his colleagues. Something more convincing - a son or daughter caught up in drugs needing money for their habit that he was trying to finance on the quiet or his own involvement with the gangs due to him/her, for example, would have made for a more persuasive read. But I would certainly consider reading others in this series, just to see how they develop.
on 24 March 2014
Because this book was free, it was an o.k. read. This is the third K.Jones I have read and
I don't think I will bother with any more. However, I do like her other books (different name).

Trevor and Peter go undercover, along with others, to find the source of a lethal new drug.
There were far too many names to keep in mind, even when they started being murdered.
For my liking, there was too much chit-chat between the detectives and then too much about the
wife and baby and Peter's girlfriend.

The "baddies" were totally implausible - as they were in A Well Deserved Murder.
None of the characters had any depth to them. However there was no swearing or sex.
I am sure this book will appeal to some people (hence 3 stars), but it was not for me.
on 26 June 2013
I don't often write bad reviews, but feel compelled to do so on this occasion. Stilted dialogue, dreadful grammar and punctuation, very poor editing - words repeated or missing altogether, and very disjointed and distracting layout. Story line reasonable, but altogether not a good read for me - just glad it was free on Kindle!
on 21 June 2013
It's not often I think "wow" when I'm reading a book, but in this one, just when I thought it was moving along pretty quickly, the supercharger kicked in.

The danger involved in undercover policing can scarcely be better portrayed.

Very believable.