Black Arrow Rocket: A History of a Satellite Launch Vehicle and Its Engines Paperback – 14 Nov 2001
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Enter your mobile number below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Black Arrow R4 is Britain's only surviving satellite launch vehicle. In 1971, its predecessor, R3, carried out the only launch of a spacecraft by a British vehicle. This book draws on the Science Museum's unique collection of rocket engines and vehicles to tell Black Arrow's story. It traces the evolution of engines from those that boosted German aircraft in the 1930s and 1940s to the Gammas of the Black Knight ballistic research vehicle, from which Black Arrow originated. It relates this technological history to the political climate at the time, both in Britain and abroad, and also to the activities of government research establishments and industry. In doing so, the book outlines how and why Black Arrow was created and later allowed to die. This book will be of interest both to those who wish to know more of the forces that drive space exploration and to those who are interested in Britain's political, military and technological aspirations during the Cold War.
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
The history of the Black Arrow engine development, which stretches back to pre-war Germany, is a fascinating and rarely told story. The political reasons for the development of this small satellite launcher and its subsequent abandonment are well described without being boring.
It's a short but great read for those interested in this type of technology.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Business, Finance & Law > Biographies & Histories
- Books > History > Other Historical Subjects > History of Engineering & Technology
- Books > Reference > Transport > Automotive
- Books > Reference > Transport > Aviation
- Books > Science & Nature > Engineering & Technology > Aeronautics & Aerospace > Aerospace & Aviation Technology
- Books > Science & Nature > Engineering & Technology > Aeronautics & Aerospace > Astronautics
- Books > Science & Nature > Engineering & Technology > Automotive > Automotive Technology