on 16 October 2000
whilst this book was enjoyable, it was not in my opinion as "riveting...chilling....engrossing" as the Kirkus Reviews quoted it to be on the cover. I felt at times it was rambling and unnecessarily confusing. The story could have been made more of. I felt that Suzies character was not really explored as well as it could have been, and you only felt like you got half the picture, especially when the author writes about when Suzie begain to act strangely. This was not explored particularly well, and i felt this let the book down. For the volume of the book i expected more substance, but was disappointed. However it is a passable read, and will while away some time. Unfortunatley it is not a real page turner, which is sad because the facts of the story could well be a page turner if told properly. Perhaps Anne Rule should have a stab at telling this tale!
on 28 August 1999
This book is excellent; I have just finished re- reading it. A true story, and one that is almost unbelievable. Gripping and devastating, this book has been carefully researched and crafted. The character studies are deep and insightful and the psychological aspect compelling. I felt I almost knew this family. DEFINITELY a keeper. If you enjoy true crime, this is one to not miss.
This is about as engrossing a true crime book as one can get. Well researched and compellingly written, it tracks the story of three families whose lives intertwine only to culminate in boodshed. It is a story that will enthrall the reader, as well as tug at the reader's heartstrings, because of the tragic familial implications.
At the heart of the horror that this book reveals is a beautiful southern belle, Susie Sharp Newsom Lynch, who together with her first cousin and lover, Fritz Klenner, the mentally unbalanced son of a prominent doctor, goes on to be involved in unspeakable acts. It is a riveting book that will keep the reader turning the pages and is one of the best books in the true crime genre.
on 8 July 1999
After you have read this book, you will find yourself thinking about all people involved in this horrible case for quite some time. The only thing that prevented me from reading this book in a few days was the threat of sleep deprivation and work. That's how good and absorbing this book is. The amount of work, time and energy that Mr. Bledsoe put into writing and researching this book is impressive. A must-read!!!
on 3 May 1999
This book rivals Ann Rule's, "The Stranger Beside Me." The research that went into this study is incredible. I felt like the author put us inside Susie's head. If you want an in-depth, totally absorbing read, buy this book! Or for that matter,anything by Jerry Bledsoe. As a footnote, the TV depiction was OK, but the book is so much more compelling.
on 16 June 1999
Without a doubt, one of the best books I've ever read. It is compelling from start to finish. Be sure to use the Family Tree provided at the fron of the book for quick reference. Once you open th book you will NOT put it down. You'll skip meals, sleep even work! Jerry Bledsoe is phenomenol!
on 30 December 2014
Family. What does that one word mean to most of us? In sane people, you would think it meant good, warm relationships. Sadly, it isn't always like that. I don't think anyone will ever know the whole truth behind what happened to this family. A film was made, which led me to this book. Even though there's far more information written here; there is, and will always be, so much missing.

However did Bledsoe feel while he was doing the research? Many awful emotions, I would imagine.

Tragic reading, well researched and written.
on 24 September 2014
I bought this book a while ago ago and recently re-read it. Although I enjoyed it on the whole, I find there to be major gaps in the story especially, as one previous reviewer stated, once the perpetrator began to act strangely. We are expected to just accept it and not question the reasons despite being told that her husband regularly injected her with ( we are told) vitamin C. I'm sorry, but if a relative of mine began to show the behaviour described (mood swings, flat effect) and I knew her husband was giving her injections then I would be taking her for blood tests to find out exactly what he was injecting her with as her behaviour suggests some sort of drug was being taken or administered. The author never seems to have considered this possibility and doesn't even say if a toxicology test was performed at autopsy and if so what the results were. In my view this is a glaring omission and spoiled my enjoyment of the book.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 19 October 2014
I prefer to true crime as opposed to fiction and although I did enjoy this book very much it did jump about at points. I did manage to get back on track quite quickly. I prefer pictures early on to make engaging with the characters easier. However having said all that I would buy this author again.