Format: Paperback|Change

on 12 December 2013
great book, but dont be fooled, the content of this is the same as the book with the heart cookie on the cover. I made the mistake and bought both. So great book but one star off as it didn't tell me anywhere it was the same book different cover.
on 12 February 2013
Harriet Hastings is the co-founder of Biscuiteers.com and co-author of this book. Along with Sarah Moore, she has put together a beautiful collection of iced cookies to inspire you to make your own unique gifts.

Iced cookies have long been a craze in the US, but the trend is certainly gathering momentum here in the UK. This book is a 2012 paperback edition of the successful 2010 hardback version, but contains many new designs alongside the old favourites. The book has an introduction chapter, detailing Hastings experience and the reasons she formed Biscuiteers. This is followed by an invaluable chapter of tips, tricks and recipes for everything a budding biscuiteer would want, such as biscuit dough and icing recipes, as well as icing techniques.

This is followed by three gloriously enticing chapters containing photos of delicious looking cookies for various festive and seasonal occasions. Each page details the recipe used, the colours and directions. My one and only criticism of this book is the font for these instructions is a tad small. I would have preferred it to be a couple of pitch larger.

The varied selection of biscuit recipes were an eye opener to me. I have made iced cookies many times, but always used a basic sugar cookie dough. The Biscuiteer offers 10 different varieties, including Super Chocolatey Biscuits, and Treacle Spice Biscuit, as well as a basic recipe.

The photos are one of the highlights of this book. The images are beautifully staged, showing off the bright colours, and amazing techniques to full effect. I could happily spend hours just flicking through the pages of this book never reading a word.

If you are completely new to iced cookies, a beginner or even an expert, this book offers enough inspiration for anyone to make beautiful and unique iced cookies to serve to guests or offer as gifts.

The recipes are very easy to follow, and mercifully in metric measurements, not US volume. I tried the basic biscuit recipe, and found the biscuit delicious and ever so slightly chewier and sweeter than the one I normally use. It does have a tendency to draw more moisture from the icing than my usual recipe but the flavour is superb. Should your cookies go a little soft, the Biscuiteer offers an excellent tip for returning the crunch back to your cookies, by cooking them again for a short time on a low heat to dry them out.

I received my copy of this book as a Christmas gift from my husband, as he knows that I have coveted it for a while now. The RRP is £12.99, but for that you get almost 140 pages of ideas. Add to that the tips, recipes and also several pages of templates for you to use, makes it great value.
on 19 February 2016
Beautiful stunning book, has just arrived and have read through and can't put down. A must have for anyone about to embark on icing their own biscuits! I just love it, amazing photography and step by step instructions. I made a batch of biscuits this week ready using their recipe from website which is a word by word copy from the book, but so lovely having it in gorgeous print. I have also purchased the squeezy bottles ready, I just cannot wait to get started on the icing!
on 19 January 2016
The pictures in this book are so pretty to look at. The vanilla biscuit recipe, is now my go to biscuit recipe. Fab ideas for biscuit designs, and the information on different icings, and when to use each is really useful.
on 21 March 2015
A beautiful book with stunning pictures and great, practical advice on how to make biscuits. There are some good recipes and a detailed section on how to roll out and ice perfect biscuits. I've struggled to produce anything close to the illustrations, but I enjoyed all the ideas for decoration.
on 19 May 2016
I think I am an experienced home baker and icing piper, yet I found the recipes required modifications and the icing techniques poorly describe/over simplified. It left me feeling disappointed with the results. It required a lot of trial and error before I figured out the trucks to achieve cookies like those in the photos and I wonder why the details were not written into the book in the first hand. It's almost as if the book is written for coffee table browsing rather than to actually be a helpful guide. If so, it is an excellent, inspiring book.
I even went into the London shop, and had a go in their icing cafe. I was disappointed that they only provide one type of icing consistency in the cafe (line icing), so it's hard to practice the flooding techniques. (However, the shop employees were lovely. ) It turns out I'd have to sign up to a course to try other consistencies.
I've heard the Pamela Giles book is better... so I'll try that.
on 20 December 2013
This brilliant book has sent me baking mad! All the biscuit recipes have turned out really well so far (I've tried 3). The dough is a little dryer than I'm used to but achieves great results and the biscuits stay fresh for quite a while. Some really good icing tips, and the photos are beautiful.
on 16 May 2013
Who would have thought that buiscuits were so hard to make? I bought this book after having been given cookie cutters from the buiscuiteers which I loved. And as a passionate baker I wanted to, of course, learn how to make the perfect biscuits, hence the reason why I ordered this book. It is detailed but user friendly with lots of inspiring recipes that will make you want to put your apron on and go bake.
on 13 December 2012
Just recieved this book as a christmas gift for my friend and i love it. The pictures are stunning. I want to buy another one for myself. Good Size and arrived very quickly.
on 27 October 2015
I haven't read this book, but I would be very loathed to buy this book because a christening cake I bought from the Biscuiteers was really dry and unpleasant - so I would worry about the quality of the cookies you'd make. I wasted £65 because my guests didn't want to finish their cake slices and when I asked for a partial refund, the Biscuiteers refused saying that the cake was "up to their standard". Oh dear. What a damning assessment of their own product.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse