on 26 July 2013
A simple story of a slave who falls in love with battle hardened military man.

Except they're both 'psionic'.

And they are from different races within their galaxy.

And their races are enemies.

A tale of discovery, of loss and finding.

I found much of the long descriptive passages were easily skipped over to keep the story moving along at a decent pace and that's really the biggest criticism I have.

The storyline was very good, the characters were well imagined and the whole setting interesting.

Overall, I enjoyed the book enough to go and buy the second in the series.
on 18 January 2014
It was my first Space Opera book, and sci-fi in general is not something I usually go for, but the cover caught my eye. The characters were very well written into a great storyline. A little slow-going in some places, but overall a very enjoyable read. A big well done to the author.
on 21 December 2013
This story surprised me. It started slower, but all scifi does. It picked up fast though, and the ongoing action had me gripped throughout. The characters come alive right from the beginning. All of the cast, main and supporting characters are well defined. And the moment you think you know what's coming next, this author shows you a whole new twist! There isn't anything predictable in this book, and if the author carries the same throughout, I'm already hooked!

This is a funny story teller
on 12 December 2013
I really liked Birth of an Empire. It's a great space opera book. I read once that women can't write good science fiction. Wow... how wrong! Everybody who reads this book will think exactly the opposite. I felt immediately in love with Kala, the Xenonian slave girl who can transform the psionic abilities in a powerful military weapon. The cynic Yatrell is a complex and great character too. This book is not missing anything: pure sci-fi, feelings, deep thoughts and exquisite erotica. I'm hooked and I'm dying to read Catrina's next book.
on 22 July 2014
love this series. i have bought the rest and their all great to me. a very good buy although the first book (this one) is the worst of the series as at some points it can be quite slow.