on 23 March 2010
I write from continental Europe, and know very well Birkenstock, several guys said are too big...
In the past Birkenstock have 3 size:
1 Large
2 Regular
3 Narrow
And now have only 2 size:
1 Narrow
2 Reguar

Narrow is NOT Narrow, in fact it's like Regular, it's for ALL, here in my country the most common is narrow, several women style issued only in narrow.

Regular is NOT Regular, in fact it's Large, it's simple... Please choose Regular ONLY if you have very, very, large and robust/fat feet, or (the only exception) if you would to buy thong stile sandal like Gizeh, Birkenstock catalogue in my language describe the reason, thong style expand big toe during walking, and need Regular size, only women with very, very, narrow and slim feet who buy thong style sandal like Gizeh need the narrow size.

The only problem is, in some country the only size available is Regular.

I'm man i wear Birkenstock Madrid Narrow size 42, in the past i buy Regular 42 it's giant over 2 or 3 size up for me, on the big toe the space is over 5 cm, i have Regular 42 only for Gizeh, and the size is correct.

And also remember, for the correct size feet on Birkenstock need space, you have 0,5 cm on the front (big toe), and 0,5 cm on the back (heel), the reason is simple this avoid the feet ruin the border.

For the guys who said i have pain and blisters, Birkenstock are high quality shoes and foot need some days of training.

On official Birkenstock web site (.de) you found complete PDF catalogue in English/German/Netherlands.

Bye
55 comments| 144 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon 16 February 2012
I love Birkenstock Madrid and already have several pairs. The shop I got mines from several years ago only had them in one fitting, so I didn't know if they were regular or narrow. I then bought my regular size 38 in M from Amazon, and found out that it is to big, I have compared them to the ones I already have and it it is to wide at the space in front of the toes, and to big. I will have to return them and then buy the 38 in N, hoping that it will be the correct size. It is quite annoying as on the official Birkenstock website, they say that M is regular and N is narrow, in reality M is to wide and to big.
on 3 August 2011
I have to comment on Flavius review, concerning Birkenstock width:

I am a woman, petite, medium built. My feet are not particularly slim nor noticeable wide.
Contrary to what Flavius wrote, I find "Regular" Birkenstock width to be just "Regular": the right width for me.

Birkenstock mentions that the sandals are to be roomy and recommends that feet should fit completely inside the footbeds, even if they feel big on 1st try - only if your foot moves side to side when you walk and adjusting the strap does not help, you should go with narrow fitting.

If I would wear "Narrow" width, my feet would be pressed against the rim of the sandals - that would feel more similar to most of my other shoes, but the whole purpose here is to have footwear that is comfortable and can adapt to my shape, instaed of me adapting to the shoe shape. Please note that despite looking for comfortable shoes, I a am fashion conscious person and would not feel good if these would look unreasonably wide.

So, as always, your mileage may vary...
on 22 July 2014
Wow! Buying Birkenstock's online is a bit of a minefield! I read all the reviews regarding sizing, then did all the feet measuring, and in the end went to Bluewater and tried a couple of pairs on to sort out my correct size! Kind of defeats the object of internet shopping, however these sandals were much cheaper than where I tried them, so well worth a visit to the shops first.

I bought one size smaller than my usual size, and in the "n" fitting rather than the "m" fitting, which I'm pretty sure must be a wide fitting (another question I asked in the store!). Really comfy to wear, and I haven't found that I need to break them in as some other reviewers have mentioned. In my opinion this style is more feminine than the Gizeh style but no less comfortable. So pleased I may even invest in another pair in a different colour!

Quick delivery with no postage made up for my little trip to Bluewater!
on 29 September 2009
Great fit and the most comfortable sandals I own, which is why I have several pairs!
on 25 June 2010
Gorgeous shoes, so comfortable to wear- even all day! Great service and price from seller. Only concern is that the strap seems to loosen quite quickly, I'm already onto the tightest buckle hole after only a couple of weeks and my feet are normal not narrow. I hope they don't give anymore or I won't be able to safely wear them for long!
on 5 August 2014
I started wearing Birkenstock about 3 years ago. My aches had fallen and I was in a lot of pain. Once I'd had been diagnosed I had custom-made orthotics which I wear in laced up shoes in the colder months. Birkenstocks have been the only summer footwear that I can wear that gives me that much needed arch support. This madrid style is comfortable and a little more feminine in comparison with the arizona and gizeh. I like the colour and the fit is excellent
on 21 June 2015
Wearing them all the time, they are comfortable, mould to your feet and make your them feel cared for. Just perfect after a long day at work or on holiday for those long walks. A perfect purchase, which look great also.
on 27 July 2012
I initially followed the UK Men's sizing guide and as others have said the unisex guide is different from the standard men's size guide! Why?
So,having returned the first order because they were too large - large in the sense of length the width was OK - for my rather broad high arched feet. As I say, having gone down a size the replacements arrived today.
They are very firm and unlike my sandals do not give with my my feet so one tends to slop in them as they are also not light. But that said I added a further expansion hole to the strap and he - presto I have summer slip-ons for the trip to the garage freezer, a pop to the shop or cafe opposite.
So I am happy - I have, until now, tried in vain to find a broad fitting slip on sandal/clog with a wide enough fitting but these appear to do the job, and at a good price. One thing would have made them better and that would be a slightly longer strap. I have knocked off one star for the confusing sizing guide. My advice - measure the length of your foot and match it to the unisex guide before ordering. In the product list; N=narrow fitting and M=wide fitting. I hope this helps.
on 22 September 2013
I love Birkenstocks in the Summer and it's nice to have new pairs occasionally. I was really pleased to find these at a reasonable price and I love the colour. I'm lucky enough to find them comfortable from the moment I put them on. However, sadly I can no longer wear them to walk about in all day as my aging feet require something more squidgy as a sole bed to provide more shock absorbancy...but for paddling about in the house and garden or being driven somewhere, they are great as you can just slip them on and off. These Birkenstocks arrived super quickly, well-packaged and at a very good price - so I really recommend the seller and the footwear.

See one answered question