Size: 2.5 UK|Colour: D-Brown Braid|Change
Price:£28.51 - £64.95

on 19 May 2012
They really are lovely and so comfortable.

But a few words of advice, after having read a lot of comments about buying the narrow size instead and about the sizings in general in the reviews section. I went to the official Birkenstock UK website and under the tab "shop online" there is a sizing guide, and for women who are a size 7 in UK sizing, they state that you should purchase a size 40 in European sizing and the standard width. Unless you have narrow feet. Mine aren't especially wide or narrow and the regular width is perfect for me.

Usually I'm a 41 in European sizing. But I thought I'd order the size 40 and return it, if it didn't fit well. As that was the recommendation on their website. I have to say it fits perfectly.

I read the information on narrow or regular as well and this is what it said:

"Regular or narrow?
Even with foot health sandals the right fit is important. Therefore the Original Birkenstock foot bed is manufactured in two widths. When purchasing your Birkenstock sandals, ensure that you get the correct width.
Birkenstocks are designed to be roomy. When you first try your sandals they might feel big. Most people are fine with a regular fitting, but if your foot moves side to side when you walk and adjusting the strap does not help, a narrow fitting may be more suitable. If you want to check the width of a pair of Birkenstocks you already own, you can tell by inspecting the foot bed where there is a small image of a foot - if it's filled in the shoe is a narrow fitting, and if it's an outline it's regular.
Also all stock codes for narrow fittings end with 3"

So well worth looking at the sizing guides carefully before ordering in my opinion. Do not use the sizing info on Amazon as your only guide before buying, unless you want to run the risk of having to return them again. As on Amazon it said I should purchase the 41 not 40. Perhaps Birkenstock are just a little different than usual shoe sizes :)
0Comment| 121 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 April 2011
Absolutely love these the colour is great, only 1 piece of advice go a size smaller as they come quite large I also got the narrow and I would consider myself to have quite wide feet.
on 12 June 2016
I have been a long time wearer of Birkenstocks and tend to buy a new pair every one or two years, I've travelled far with them across lots of continents and they've seen me through some pretty prolific walks! If you're new to Birks then don't fear when you first put them on. They often feel a bit uncomfortable and unnatural, just wear them in over a week or two. I tend to start wearing them on small walks and then gradually increase it. Soon enough they'll start moulding to your feet and they will feel so natural! You might need to tighten the buckle after a while as your foot sinks into the sole. A few words of advice with Birkenstocks
- try not to get them too wet, they can get a bit smelly and not really made for crossing rivers (or big puddles if you live in England!) A little water won't hurt them though
- these are prone to smelling after a long while, I tend to alternate shoes, they like to have a good bake in the sun, otherwise other ways you can make them smell less is putting them in a bag in the freezer, tea tree oil or baking soda. Don't let this put you off though, they are made from natural materials!
- Don't get fooled into buying the cheaper versions in TK Maxx, they're often more plastic and not the same quality as these
- I'm a size 6 normally but always get a size 5 in Birkenstocks. They advise going bigger but i prefer them to fit snugly
on 5 December 2009
These sandals are excellent, extremely comfortable, the next best thing to being Barefoot, so my wife tells me.
on 8 July 2011
My wife has been nagging me for years to get some Birkenstocks and at long last she has won the battle. They took a little while to get used to (had to put a plaster on a blister at first) but the more I wear them the more I realise why she likes hers so much!
on 22 May 2012
UPDATE ON SIZING: After returning the shoes, I decided to gamble again and bought a smaller size and the narrow fitting from the same seller on Amazon. Whilst they are not as good a fit as previous Madrid Birkenstocks I have bought (before the sizing changes) they are a much better fit and I've kept them. I've ended up with a size 38 which is 1-1.5 sizes smaller than my usual shoe size!

*****

I read lots of reviews and spent a while deliberating whether to order regular or narrow. In the end I ordered 39 regular and they are HUGE. At least 1.5cm too long and far too wide. I know the Birkenstock website says they should be loose fitting, but these were ridiculous.
Have just printed an Amazon returns label and it's Freepost return, so at least I haven't lost anything.
Now that they have changed the sizes/widths, I think I will try and find a Birkenstock shop to buy my next pair before reverting to online shopping again.
on 25 February 2010
I bought a pair of Birkenstock Madrid and they are the best things I have purchased in a long time. Not only were they good value for money they are so so comfortable. I usally get pains in my feet and cannot walk without being in discomfort. Since I bought my birkenstocks all of that has changed. The sandals mould to your feet and it feels like you are walking on air. I will definately be ordering more colours to match my outfits.Birkenstock Women's Birkenstock Madrid
on 9 July 2015
The first pair I bought were miles too big, and after I read the reviews I realised why, Seems Birkenstock have changed their sizing, so it's advised to go one smaller than you would normally buy. I exchanged no problem at all, and the replacement pair turned up the very next day. They fitted, but the black strap was marked in someway, so I have had to return those too. I have asked for a refund instead now and will wait a while before buying anymore. Shame, as I really wanted a pair
review image
on 8 June 2014
I already have several pairs of Birkenstocks so ordered my regular size 41 M, turns out that is a UK 8. On Amazon in general sizing is a bit confusing for these as width not always indicated. I love Birkenstocks, usually buy the ones with toe post but those are also a great fit and very comfortable. When the sun shine and I put them on it is like finding old friends again.
on 4 August 2013
Firstly, if you have never worn Birkenstock before don't assume you will put them on and instantly they will be really comfortable because they probably wont! These shoes are really exercise sandals and because most people wear badly fitting shoes our feet tend to acclimatize themselves to them and when you put Birkenstock on they feel very big and hard initially. However, if you wear them indoors for a couple of days your feet will adjust and they will become very comfortable.

These sandals initially feel big and this is because the sides come up around the foot and the actual shoe size is the inner inside insole. They are meant to be big and feet should feet comfortably inside inner insole without pressure on the sides. Because of the design the sandals are bigger than general shoe size so I suggest you try a size smaller than you would normally buy. Regarding the comments on width of the shoes - if it says N, or Schmal they are narrow, the information inside the shoe box says to only buy narrow if you have slender feet, and that seems to be correct as I have normal width feet and the normal width of these shoes fits me perfectly.