- Hardcover: 448 pages
- Publisher: Natural History Museum; Linen-bound hardback in slip-case edition (1 Oct. 2011)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0565092731
- ISBN-13: 978-0565092733
- Product Dimensions: 25.4 x 4.5 x 38.1 cm
- Average Customer Review: 4.9 out of 5 stars See all reviews (12 customer reviews)
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 680,993 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
Birds of America Hardcover – 1 Oct 2011
Customers Who Viewed This Item Also Viewed
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
'Natural history books have to compete with the BBC's Frozen Planet, and the Natural History Museum's The Birds of America does just that.' --Time Out
'Mesmerising' --The Observer
'The Natural History Museum has now reproduced a glorious complete edition.' --The Bookseller
About the Author
John James Audubon was a naturalist and painter and is considered one of the greatest bird artists of all time. Born in Haiti in 1785, he spent much of his life travelling North America observing, catching and drawing birds and animals in remarkable detail. Using a variety of materials to create a highly dramatic style, he painted almost 500 species of the 700 or so regularly occurring North American bird species. Audubon is most famous for his life-size illustrations of birds and for the sheer size of the book in which they appeared.
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
This meets the bill; printed on heavy paper, clear illustrations, beautiful colours, presented in the original order and presented in a sturdy slip case.
If anyone ever says that science had no eye for beauty then I'll strap them to a chair and make them read this delightful nd playful volume.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
I gave this as a gift - the recipient, a British birder, loved it just for its beauty. its craft and, of course, the history.Published on 5 Aug. 2014 by Dinah
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Art, Architecture & Photography > Art Issues
- Books > History
- Books > Science & Nature > Biological Sciences > Animal Sciences > Birds
- Books > Science & Nature > Biological Sciences > Animal Sciences > Habitats
- Books > Science & Nature > Nature > Wild Animals > Birds
- Books > Scientific, Technical & Medical > Biology > Animal Sciences
- Books > Sports, Hobbies & Games > Fishing, Birdwatching & Other Outdoor Pursuits > Birdwatching
- Books > Travel & Holiday > Countries & Regions > United States > Regions