on 19 January 2012
I love this pocket sized gem. It offers me the advice I am looking for help weave myself through the maze of wild bird photography, and how to approach the particular difficulties of this subject.
It's neat enough to pop into a camera bag.
It covers all the basics in a clear and concise way without being too simplistic either, and is packed not only full of ideas, hints and tips, but cover to cover with stunning shots mostly taken by the author. Congratulations to the author,David Tipling, and thank you to him for sharing his inspirational experience and knowledge.
on 9 April 2014
David Tipling knows his subject very well, and conveys the basic principles of what needs to be taken into consideration when pursuing this extremely rewarding, and at the same time very frustrating pastime. The book is clearly written and a copy should find itself into any serious bird photographer's library. This is indeed an essential handbook, as it's title implies.
on 3 March 2012
This is a "Field Book". The illustrations and photos are first class. As a guide to bird photography, I'm not sure it does the job. As a record of the birds that might be encountered, there are other pocket-sized guides that cover more species, more informatively. Not really for the photography enthusiast.
on 24 May 2013
Not my first David Tipling book and it wont be my last, his books are full of great material as well as amazing pictures and they have helped inspire me to get out there and try to emulate what he does (albeit with limited resources).
on 13 November 2012
Its small size so perfect for travel. The pictures and information are very well presented for such a small book its crammed with information. Love it!
on 9 May 2012
This book may be the best one on its subject ever published, but what you don't realise when perusing it online with a view to purchase is that it is so physically small. I accept that the dimensions of the volume are disclosed but they are in metric and I admit that I didn't even notice them. I know I'm getting on a bit but the fact is that to read this book I have to look at it through a magnifying glass. Who wants to do that, trying to hold the book in one hand and the magnifying glass in the other? Certainly not me, so the book was a complete waste of money for me. Sorry, especially as the author uses my favourite equipment - Canon.
on 17 October 2015
Excellent book, as a novice to bird photography this book is a god send, highly recommended.
on 24 June 2015
Excellent book and very helpfull
on 16 February 2014
Quite an interesting little book to read. Pocket sized and easily transported. I found it quite inspiring as well informative. Would recommend it.
on 4 December 2013
A concise read packed full of the sort of information valuable at all stages of a photographers development and experience. Always with me.