Customer reviews

on 14 June 2013
Very nice partially illustrated introduction to Bi-Polar Disorder (Manic Depression.) Helpfully concise, yet informative. Very good to give to friends and relatives of the sufferer.
on 31 December 2009
i bought this book some years ago and found it very easy to read, to quote to others who have no idea about the illness, and helpful. it also makes you laugh as you follow through it. well worth buying if you or your family need to know more about bipolar.

it has a lot of different sections including helping other family members understand what is going on when you are ill, adn also helpful pages for other carers adn family members to read to understand the person who has bi-polar better.

very good all round book and im surprised there are no other reviews of it on here.

what i liked reading to my other half was that anything that is bad for him is at least ten times bad for me (who has bi-polar) - so true i thought.

very insightful adn useful book
on 29 September 2010
As a recent sufferer of bipolar disorder I found the book to be quite informative and educational although it is based on the American population. Certainly a good reference book along with other books on the subject. I rate it, at present, second from the top of my own personal list.
on 9 October 2011
I found this book most useful to help my extended family understand once I decided to be open with them about my having bipolar, in an age when many people get their only image of mental illness from television soaps like EastEnders it was good to have a book that could accurately present what we were living with in a way which carried humour and yet was informative without overwhelming. I particularly liked the humour in it as I felt it helped remind my family I am still human, I am still me, I just live with bipolar. I found it particularly useful for some members of my family who had previously liked to think my illness was just me being silly or needing to pull myself together or even me attention seeking.

The only downside, and it it quite a significant one if reading as a person who has bipolar and is newly diagnosed awaiting medication & treatments to begin (which can take a ridiculous amount of time in some areas of the country) is that this book is heavily Americanised and many of the treatments and therapies it talks about requesting simply are not available on this side of the atlantic without having substantial wealth the seek them out in the private health system. This book does tend to assume we can all access a private therapist to help us whenever we require where as reality is the average bipolar sufferer in the UK will be at the mercy of NHS waiting lists and probably only getting access to their psychiatrist once every few months.
on 3 October 2010
Easy to read and understand.
Full of good information, tho' one needs to remember it content is pertinent to States.
Excellent 'starting point' for those who may have a family member newly diagnosed with bipolar disorder
on 29 October 2010
May sound dramatic, but this book changed my life! It is so informative, easy read without being patronizing. I would definitely recommend it!!!
on 11 September 2011
Learnt a lot by reading this book. I needed to understand a little about the disorder and this explained in layman's terms. Thanks
on 5 March 2012
Excellent Book! Easy to read and explains the illness in simple terms. Very informative for treatment methods, the different drugs available and what mood they are best suited to.
It needs a lot more information on Bipolar type II. But it has this great list of medications that's used in the treatment of Bipolar disorders. It lists all the side effects that comes with some of the medications. Like, lack of sleep, nausea, weight gain, etc. It's good for a Bipolar person to be aware of the several medications and probably be able to have their own input on what the best medication is for him/her. Don't ever just go with whatever your psychiatrist or therapist says.
on 22 January 2017
Good,just a shame I couldn`t help the person I bought this for... forgot to leave a rating... just came across it.Had originally bought this book when I was in a relationship with a guy who had Bipolar Disorder.He committed suicide a few years back.It was so sad to see him suferring through life.A lot of family had given up on him and were fed up of hearing his cries for help.I eventualy left him after feelig exhausted trying to help him.I hope he is at peace now