A Biographical Dictionary of Dark Age Britain: England, Scotland and Wales c.500 - c.1050: England, Scotland and Wales, 500-1050 (Seaby Biographical Dictionaries) Hardcover – 25 Jun 1991
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
About the Author
Dr Ann Williams was formerly Senior Lecturer in Medieval History at the Polytechnic of North London. Dr Alfred P Smyth is Reader in Medieval History at the University of Kent, and Dr D P Kirby is Reader in History at the University College of Wales, Aberystwyth. All three authors have published widely on the history of Britain in the Dark Ages.
Top Customer Reviews
This is an extremely useful book if you are studying anything to do with the dark ages, and want to quickly verify whether the Ælflæd you are thinking of is the same one that the writer is referring to. Given how similar some of the names are—everyone must at some time have confused Ealhflæd, daughter of Oswiu and murderer of Peada, with Eanflæd, wife of Oswiu though not mother of Ealhflæd—this is a very helpful book for sorting yourself out. The family trees in the introduction are also very helpful.
Where this book falls down a little is that if you are working to a different spelling from the one in the book, it may take you a while to track it down. Most readers interested in the period will know that Oswy is the same as Oswiu, but if you don't happen to know this, the book won't tell you. This can be a problem when working with older journal articles and non-specialist books, where 'Oswy' is used. There are also problems if your source material is not entirely in Late West Saxon.
Apart from that, excellent
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Biography > Historical > Britain > Social & Urban History
- Books > Biography > Historical > Social & Urban History
- Books > History > Archaeology > By Period
- Books > History > Archaeology > By Region
- Books > History > Britain & Ireland > Anglo-Saxon 500-1000
- Books > History > Britain & Ireland > Ireland
- Books > History > Britain & Ireland > Norman and Medieval 1001-1500
- Books > History > Britain & Ireland > Scotland
- Books > History > Britain & Ireland > Wales
- Books > History > Europe > Vikings, Dark Ages, Medieval Europe 501-1500
- Books > Poetry, Drama & Criticism > History & Criticism > Literary Theory & Movements
- Books > Science & Nature > History & Philosophy > Reference
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Academic Sociology
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Social Sciences > Sociology