on 28 May 2009
I was content enough with the actual unit as it worked as it should.but when I attempted to find out the latest updates from the Binatone website I discovered that the software installed in the X430 was out of date and no longer used by Binatone.The Navteq and Nokia software installed had been superceded by Teleatlas and Turbodog.The big letdown is that you are unable to download this direct from Binatone but have to mail the sat nav by recorded delivery to Binatone at the cost of £2.98 plus you will need to enclose a payment of £25.00 charge for the update.I decided to do this rather than go through the process of returning the unit and all that entailed.I now have my unit and all is well.I did contact the seller and fully explained what had happened and emailed them with all details.I have had no response.It is possible that all models up to a certain date are affected .This last remark is pure assumption on my part.
Dennis K
11 Comment| 29 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 13 March 2008
the binatone carrera x430 is one helluva sat nav,does exactly what it says on the tin,if you want a satnav to get you from a to b this baby does it very well,i have had a garmin in the past and i much prefer this one its very simple to set up and use has a terrific screen and carries all the bits & bobs ie p.o.i.and such,it also comes with 6 months free speed camera.the price £79.99 is fantastic for what you get.i have no problem recommending this product.
11 Comment| 56 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 July 2008
I purchased this product couple of days ago and must say i am really pleased with it. I am used to maps so at first i was a bit worried about putting my trust into machine to get me from a to b without me having a clue where i am going.

I was really surprised to see how easy it is to use.

Good points:
easy to set up - search by post code, street, city etc..
save your trips- for quick access you can save recent trips, home or office routes
avoid motorways and toll roads option
direction timing - it tells you the direction twice and then when you come to a roundabout it repeats it twice again. Excellent feature if you cant remember where left and right.
user-friendly screen- its big and clear! on it you see current location, next road, next direction, speed, appx time of arrival and miles to destination.
Pre-set POI - when you click on any of them it comes up with contact phone number. sweet!

UK maps
Sometimes you need to disregard certain directions such as "at the roundabout take the second exit" i was on A2 at that time and there are no roundabouts. :)
battery life- is not great so keep a charger in your car.
In-car set- it comes with all necessary equipment, so no extra costs.

THE BEST thing about this GPS is that when you take a wrong turn it re-calculates the route in about 5 seconds which means you keep going ahead instead of looking for a place to stop. Also it found a shortcut to my house which i thought only i knew about. LOL

I am happy to recommend this product.
11 Comment| 25 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 October 2009
Where do I start? The software for this SatNav is so poor it makes me feel as if I'm using a PC from the early 90's. It may look modern but I can assure you it is of poor quality.

It's response to moving the map is slow, it's GPS takes about 15 minutes to find any coverage (In London) and out of London as a matter of fact. You can be driving normally through London or anywhere else and all of a sudden it will lose the GPS coverage and you'll find yourself either going around in circles (4 times for me) or pulled over at the side of the road watching your SatNav looking frantically to find your position.

When searching for places or an address and you're in the list view the scroll function is abysmal! You click gently to scroll down and you find yourself at the bottom of the page.

There is a setting so that if selected 'automatic' during the day you will have the normal screen but at night it will automatically change to night mode (easier to look at). However, this was never the case, always had to manually change it, sometimes during the day it would be in night mode and vice-versa......pointless....

When attempting to perform a Software update on the internet it appears that there is no software to install, and if there is you need to have an SD Card. Binatone has got to be the worst make for SatNav I have and probably will ever have dealt with........TOMTOM all the way!
on 12 February 2010
it is so out of date that the maps didnt have a housing estate i know was built 5 years ago i looked into updating the maps cant be done on line and Binatone now use a diferent mapping syatem would have cost About £32 to update and i would have had to send it to binatone at my expense ALLSO it didnt have the modern Lattitude and longditude coordinates system for finding where u wana go ..i sent mine back and got a refund
on 3 September 2010
Don't know how I managed with out this, but I have been lead up some dead ends!

However I do still always carry a map as in the event of a road closure I find it faster to look at the map than wait for the sat nav to find a new route.
on 16 June 2011
i love this sat nav its easy to understand, may not be top of the range but for ease of use i think it is one of the best.
on 29 September 2009
This is a good value-for-money Sat-Nav.
Some functions take a bit of getting used to, options such as fastest/shortest route selection are not very user friendly compared to Tom Tom.
An annoying thing is when the map keeps switching to a stylised representation of the next roundabout/junction on a black background, this can be a pain when there are several small roundabouts following each other; Tom Tom handles these much better by presenting the information on the map with route guides.
The kit did try to take me down a one-way street in the wrong direction in Fowey, it also managed to take me into the town when I was trying to get to the ferry!
However, given these limitations it is good value for your money.

Binatone Carrera X430 WE Satellite Navigation System With European Mapping