on 7 June 2010
When one reads Magor Richard Winters memoirs, his reassuring voice can be felt and heard as a reluctant hero leading a band of heroes. His dedication to be the best, with common sense honest is transmitted to the reader, in a style that make every paratrooper follow him through hell and back. His example is superb,which calls to be reread when one feels down, and need for guidance. A strongly recommended read for every human being, deserves the medal of honor, bless him..
on 8 September 2012
Dick Winters, sadly no longer with us, has explained some of his motives for his actions during the war and after it. It was a good read and I enjoyed it. We are the poorer for not having him with us.
on 5 March 2016
Unfortunately I had to return the book as the cover was as shown however it was A COMPLETELY different book inside. Obviously a printing error however I am unsure how no one else has had this problem!
22 Comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 September 2006
This is a book solely for those who have read and watched Band of Brothers, and have been left wanting to know more. Ideally, I would have liked more on Winters during his time in Easy Company, but the parts on his early life and what he did after the war help to give a better picture of the man. Biggest Brother also goes into greater detail on the relationship between Winters and Herbert Sobel, something I felt could have been a book in itself. The best thing I can say about this book, all 281 pages, is that I read it in four days. If you are the sort of person who could not put down Band of Brothers, then you will enjoy this look at the man who lead them.
on 22 July 2006
This book is a must have for all Band of brothers lovers out there! I thought I knew everything there is to know after reading the Band of Brothers book (twice!), watch the DVD set more than I dare admit and Major Richard Winters memoirs (Beyong Band of Brothers - another must buy too!) but oh no!!....this is good...real good....it has added information that you never thought you need but once you have it you love it and wanted more.

This is one of those rare books that made me laugh out loud and cry buckets too. Great writing, a real gem. Buy it now!!
on 14 April 2006
This is an excellent read and very well researched. For me it ties up a lot of loose ends that I have found other books choose to ignore. Larry Alexander writes extremely well with a typical reporters clarity and vision.

Highly recommended.
on 28 February 2012
If like me you have watched band of brothers and also read stephen ambrose's original book which the series was based on, and you want to learn more about the individual men of easy company, then this book is well worth consideration.

It centers on major winters, easy companies third and generally considered finest co. Winters had succeeded sobel and meehan (who was was killed along with the rest of his plane on d day). If you have watched the series, you will find many of the battles such as the taking of the three heavy guns on d day, Cartenge and Bastonge, familiar. However, dont let that put you off. If anything it creates a greater insight into these events and the man who seemed like such a fascinating enigma in the series, simply because he was such a quiet unassuming man, though a fine leader.

I found myself cross referencing the events and some of the lesser focused on characters with the tv series, watching the series as I read about each particular action. Here I noticed a certain degree of artistic license being used in the tv programme. It would have been impossible for a ten part series to cram in all the characters, event and actions accurately. Therefore, certain actions where condensed or combined or certain characters said or did things that in actual fact others had said or done. Therefore, reading how winters saw it gives a more accurate slant on the action. However, the book also gives us a potrait of winters prior to the war, expands on his family and relationships, such as his adopted british parents who he was billeted with prior to deployment and also picks up on his post war years right up until meeting ambrose and the process of writing the book and the release of the series.

It gives a remarkable potrait of a man rightly regarded as a hero, his stoic but quiet bravery and the pride he took in his men, especially the sergeants who were the backbone of the company. His opinion of his superiors were also worth a look and the reasons why he became such a good tactical commander are explored. (Winters simply puts this down to going to the classes that others skipped prior to deployment)

I read this book in a week, even with going over certain passages. This is quite good going for me. I found the writing engaging yet accessible. If there are any gripes, its only that there arent any maps of the areas fought in, though I suppose Ambrose's book has more of them. Also, I was expecting more in the way of photographs. There are some, but some of them are the same photographs used in Ambrose's book. Perhaps winter's autobiography has more. There are a couple of enigmas as well. Such as a chap called Punchy Diel who was winter's first company sergeant, but was promoted and transferred to another company where he was killed (There was no mention of him in the series.)Winters also didnt seem to talk much about two of the main characters in the series: webster and sergeant john martin, which leads me to beleive he may not have known these two as well as the tv programme suggested. I believe ambrose also used webster's writings for his research and martin was the sergeant in charge of his platoon.

Anyway, I cant recommend this book highly enough, especially if like me the series just left you wanting to know about the men and winters in particular.It's sad he has now passed away, but after the war he lived the quiet life he desired, and in his latter years much of his time in the appreciation he so richly deserved. Curahee!
on 16 June 2013
The JOB drama series, Band of Brothers, so impacted me that I started on a book buying frenzy of all things Easy Company. One of my faves is Maj. Winters autobiography, which I read after finishing Ambrose's Band of Brothers. I didn't think anyone could add to Easy's or Maj. Winters' story...I was wrong. I especially loved reading about Maj. Winters life immediately following the war; his and Ethel's love story, DeEtta's heartbreak...and how he threatened to shun Tom Hanks! Awesome read and I can't recommend it enough!!! My only gripe: why doesn't the Kindle edition include pictures?!?!?! UGH!
on 23 September 2010
Once started I couldn't put this book down it kept me hooked all the way through. An amazing man, truly an inspiration, if you ever needed a role model look no further.
on 19 December 2012
a very inspirational book. A must read for people looking for "examples" to lead a better life. money well spent.