Learn more Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Amazon Music Unlimited for Family Fitbit

Customer reviews

on 13 August 2015
I fired through this wee gem of a book in one sitting, something which I rarely, if ever, do, and there was hardly a page that failed to bring a smile to my face. L-J's natural exuberance and genuine love of all things geeky shines in her writing, and you can't help but get carried along with her mission to grab life firmly by the scrotum.

Even if you're not that much of a 'geek', the honesty with which this is written means that you'll find something in this book to relate to, be it a never ending battle with a geographically challenged satnav, overcoming phobias, relations with friends and family, frustration with everyday life or the simple desire to make one's existence meaningful. In every absorbing page, Clements shows real ability and depth as a travel writer with the heartfelt quality of her prose - which never once veers toward the pretentious as so many travelogues do - and is always engaging, frequently hilarious and often genuinely touching. Don't let the fact that this is a self-published work put you off. The fact that she published an article on her Alberta adventure in the Sunday Mail proves that L-J Clements is an author of real quality, with a natural feel for drawing the reader in and making them feel that they're right alongside her every step of the way.

Right, I'm off to book myself some archery lessons
on 26 August 2014
After reading a few blogs by this author I had waited patiently for the unveiling of this book and I was NOT dissappointed. I LOVED IT!!!!!! It made me smile, it made me laugh out loud but most importantly it made me think. L-J Clements shows us that anything is achievable. What will she do next? What other adventures will she take us on? I for one can't wait to find out.
on 22 August 2014
Purchased as the author is an old school friend and fellow geek, I had been following her adventures online so couldnt wait to see them all in one place. Very easy to read, the narrative was well written and meant I couldnt put the book down. Its funny, heartfelt and makes you want to leap off the couch and grab the world by the balls! Its a great inspiration for anyone...geek or not!
on 8 October 2014
My Big Geek Adventure was my Big Geek Guilty Pleasure while I was reading it. I could not put it down. L-J is such a natural writer, it felt like I was reading a friend's diary - nothing too sordid, other than groping some famous people and dressing up...ok, maybe slightly sordid!

Reading about a 'normal' person deciding to do something with her life that she really wanted to do, for no other reason other than life is too short, was a great morale booster. If L-J can do it, why can't I? I'm a geek, though not a sci-fi geek, I'm a theatre and literature geek...we're all geeky about something; so we can all relate to L-Js fangirling and her hilarious tales throughout this book.

It's relatively short and with short chapters, perfect for the commute (if you don't mind the strange looks when you laugh out loud!) and a very easy and fun read.

For a morale boost, a laugh and some general positivity in your life buy this book. I personally am looking forward to reading Book 2 to read more about L-J's adventures (and hubby's too of course, as the trusty sidekick).
on 14 August 2014
Combining literary maturity with child-like enthusiasm, L-J openly invites us into her world of Geekdom. Her adventures remind us that there's more to life than paying the mortgage and there's often more to people than meets the eye. (Oh and that Canada is awesome!). While I'm awaiting her next instalment I'm off to find a winding path to see where it takes me.....
on 31 August 2014
I didn't know what to expect from this book, but I absolutely loved it. Well written and easy to read - LJ's enthusiasm and passion was there in abundance on every page. Not the kind of book I usually read, but I couldn't put it down!! Can't wait for the follow-up ......
on 8 October 2014
I've been eagerly awaiting this and I was not disappointed. It took me a while to get round to reading this and I'm glad I put aside the time. This is a book from a 'normal' perspective. One persons decision to grab her life, her essence, her spirit and make the most of her minutes. I couldn't put the book down, You find yourself experiencing the high and lows with L-J ( just no squeeing on the train though It does raise some eyebrows).
The chapters are not long but so well woven that you lose yourself and realise that even if you didn't think you were a geek, there are so many things you can relate too.

Well written, involving and eye opening. Take a risk like L-J I'm sure you will not look at your life in the same way again.
on 7 October 2014
Fabulous read from the talented L-J Clements. Very entertaining! I enjoyed that it was an easy read with no chapters too long, so it's perfect for commuting. I was kept engaged with the story line and eagerly awaited the outcome and whether and how success was accomplished (or not). I love L-J's style of writing, which is upbeat and inspirational.

I'd like to add that you do not have to be a geek to enjoy this book! I never considered myself to be a geek, but by the time I'd read the book I was surprised just how much I could relate to. I think this also has a lot to do with how down to earth the author tells her story, in a way that pretty much everybody could relate to.

I'm looking forward to the next one!
on 20 September 2014
As highlighted in the opening of the book, this is the opposite of a "bucket list", this is something to be done as part of a hobby and enjoyed, not a "tick box" list. L-J set herself quite a challenge and through celestial alignment and the assistance/guidance of "Husband", her achievements make for an interesting read. "Husband" deserves a medal.
on 27 August 2014
I thoroughly enjoyed this book, sharing L-J's adventures, laughing and occasionally crying along the way. Her enthusiasm jumps off very page! Husband is a man in a million..quietly encouraging, always supporting and best of all sharing her adventures. Roll on the next instalment... If you've ever harboured a dream....or have a secret list ..geek or not ...go for it!