- Paperback: 397 pages
- Publisher: Ege Yayinlari (30 Sept. 2010)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 6055607352
- ISBN-13: 978-6055607357
- Product Dimensions: 21.1 x 15 x 2.3 cm
- Average Customer Review: 5.0 out of 5 stars See all reviews (4 customer reviews)
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 1,358,254 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
Biblical Turkey: A Guide to the Jewish and Christian Sites of Asia Minor Paperback – 30 Sep 2010
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
About the Author
Mark Wilson (D.Litt. et Phil., University of South Africa) is an American scholar who has lived in Turkey with his wife Dindy since 2004. He is the founder and director of two organizationsthe Seven Churches Network (www.sevenchurches.org) and the Asia Minor Research Center in Antalya. Their purpose is to promote the study of early Judaism and Christianity in Asia Minor within the context of the Greco-Roman world. Wilson regularly leads study trips to the biblical sites in Turkey and other countries in the eastern Mediterranean. He has also conducted several seminars for Turkish tour guides on Turkeys biblical heritage. Wilson is the author and editor of numerous books including three studies on the book of Revelation. He has also authored many articles on Asia Minor, some of which are found in the Dictionary of the Bible and its Reception and the Baker Bible Handbook. He is a member of eight academic societies, and was featured in a History Channel production shot in Turkey called The First Christians. His research interests include ancient synagogues as well as ancient roads and biblical routes. Mark and his wife Dindy have four adult children, four grandsons and four granddaughters. --This text refers to an alternate Paperback edition.
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
Best read before and after visiting Turkey as the book can wight down your rucksacks/ backpack.
It also includes some plans of sites. The new version is upto date.
The book has a bit more facts then the tour guide we had.
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
Mark Wilson is the perfect person to write this guide to important Biblical sites. As a scholar and tour guide who's lived in Turkey since 2004, he offers not only historic information but other helpful resources:
- Side trip ideas offering off-the-beaten path sites
- "In site" sections which speak to the daily life of ancient Jews and Christians from the use of parchment to water systems to slavery. There is an enormous amount of helpful reference material in these sections.
- Lots of helpful site maps and photographs
- "Ancient Voices" in which actual references from stele inscriptions to Apollonius of Tyana (1st C AD) and Pliny the Younger (2nd C. AD)
- A chart of the 7 Ecumenical Councils with dates, locations, and basic purpose of the assemblies
- A timeline charting Biblical references to Asia Minor
This is a book for Bible geeks and history lovers. What I especially appreciate about Mark's work is that he is unafraid to clarify/correct church tradition with solid historical references.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > History > Ancient History & Civilisation
- Books > History > Britain & Ireland > Early British & Roman Britain
- Books > History > Europe > Pre-500
- Books > History > Religious History > Christianity
- Books > History > Religious History > Judaism
- Books > History > World History > Pre-500
- Books > Religion & Spirituality > Bible
- Books > Travel & Holiday > Countries & Regions > Middle East