on 26 July 2013
I'm already a fan of Christopher Green's Toddler Taming, so bought this book to follwo on from it.

As with the first book, it's written in a very readable, down-to-earth and even humorous style, but contains lots of very useful advice.

In the first chapters of the book, Green explores the psychology of this age-group and explains clearly why primary-age children misbehave. He discusses the benefits of rewards and how to discipline bad behaviour without getting into a screaming match/nagging session.

The next section focusses on specific behaviour problems and potential areas of worry or conflict, from thumb sucking through bike riding to nightmares and social problems. The topics are arranged alphabetically with an index at the start of the section, and each is dealt with in turn. Following this are separate chapters on more complex issues - starting school, ADHD, sibling conflict, diet and exercise, death, sex, divorce... it's all here!

All the advice is supported by graphs, tables, charts and data where relevant, and there's a full index at the back so you can look up specific issues easily.

I find this book a practical, reassuring and useful one - as someone who is inclined to both yell and nag I need reminding that there are better ways to get my daughter to co-operate. It's also brilliant for looking up specific questions and worries you might have. I highly recommend it.
on 29 September 2016
I purchase these books as gifts for new parents and those of growing children. They are so full of down-to-earth common sense and not full of mumbo jumbo and faddish nonsense (sorry, have worked in this field for years and there is a lot of confusion out there). I highly recommend all of Chris Green's books.
on 5 December 2012
Great for frustrated grandparents who often get labelled, old fashioned, out of touch, your generation etc. This just puts it into perspective and tells the grandparents that it is not them who has got it all wrong. Wisdom, life has and living has put them in touch with reality. Parents take note when you may find, much to your surpise those well meant commets are still the best researched ways to raise children.
on 5 February 2015
A very well written book, which manages to convey useful information in a clear and humorous way.A very useful book for anybody involved in looking after children,giving insight into all areas of child development and an understanding of their behaviours and how an adult should react and relate to the children in there care.
on 31 January 2013
I have read many books over the 11 years of being a parent and time and time again I come back to Dr Greene. He gives practical advise for modern parenting but most importantly he gives you the sanity that you need to get you through the terrible 2's, the starting school, the per teen years and on and on and on.
This book is no exception now that I'm in the 'tween age' years. I'm not saying I'm the perfect parent but Dr Greene gives you the reassurance that you are not the first parent to go through it and you certainly won't be the last.
He doesn't paint rosey pictures of movie like children sitting quietly in restaurants, , but does help you to recognise what's important and most of all to enjoy your children for being children.
Overall good sound practical and achievable advise.
on 29 July 2013
We were I'd some issues developing in the step-family of our son and this book has shown us exactly how to deal with it......but not made us feel bad about it.. Win-win situation. Would recommend it to anyone with kids, not just those from broken homes. I wish it had been around when my marriage broke up a couple of decades ago
on 22 March 2014
Dr. Green helped me through those early years with my kids. I love his approach, he writes to real parents, who have real emotional responses and sometimes react in undesirable ways. This book continues from Toddler Taming and reiterates the importance of staying connected to your children. This is the only parenting book that I have read and truly embraced.
on 23 March 2017
We really found this book incredibly helpful
on 6 January 2017
Excellent price and rapid delivery.
on 7 July 2014
The book spends an awful lot of effort explaining what a parent could expect from a AVERAGE child of a certain age, and how wide this AVERAGE spectrum is. Most importantly, this explanation is viewed from the child's perspective. Found this amazingly motivational and really calming when I am close to tearing my hair out because my child won't listen to me....