Customer reviews

on 17 June 2017
I loved this book the first time I read it and just had to read it again. The story line was gripping and moving. The author writes with such passion that it kept me hooked until the final page.
on 7 July 2003
I read this book a long time ago, but even though I have since read hundreds of other books I feel it is one of my most favourite books. I feel that reading this book has enriched by life... it taught me so much!
If like me, you are a person who likes to learn more about life through other peoples' experiences, than this book is a must read. In it you get to know scientists who are trying hard to win the coveted Nobel Prize for their research re AIDS virus; you get an insight to the gay community and the difficulties in dealing with the then unknown deadly virus of AIDS; you get to appreciate the good work done by Mother Teresa and her nuns.
This book made an impact on my life because it taught me the importance of prayer.
The only thing that I found a bit difficult was the medical terms found in mostly in the begining of the book, but do not let that put you off. This book is well worth reading - it is about real people, real life, love and beyond!
on 22 April 2016
This is a very moving book - though I sometimes found his treatment of the subject strayed a bit into melodrama at times. His depictions of the work of Mother Theresa and her nuns with the lepers and the destitute in India seemed to me to be more were the focus of the book lay, though I can certainly see the parallels he was drawing between the two diseases and how those who had them were treated. It is a comparison I have often thought about myself. I am not implying that the author lacked sympathy for PWAs. I also found his focus on only a few characters meant that it was not as wide-ranging as other books I have read on the same subject. It seemed to focus only on rather 'perfect' people and thus for me lacked 'grit'. I have not read his 'City of Joy' but this is now on my reading list.