Format: Paperback|Change

on 1 April 2006
This album is the definite recording of the complete 'Beyond the Fringe', as well as including various extra bits from the American version. The sound quality is what you'd expect from a live recording, but is mainly excellent.
This is British comedy at it's best, and is a must-have buy for anyone with an interest in satire, British humour, or just laughing themselves silly!
on 4 November 2010
When Peter Cook, Dudley Moore, Jonathan Miller and Alan Bennett performed their superb sketches in London for the first time in 1961 it came as a blast of fresh air on the comedy scene. Also, unlike so many "alternative" comedies, it has stood the passing of half a century very well and is still able to raise a laugh today - even if a majority of its listeners may, for example, have never heard a recording of a Harold MacMillan speech. For decades, it was one of my favourite records (vinyl) and it saddened me when house down-sizing meant that I had to get rid of all my vinyls. This new product not only lets me hear, once again, all my old favourites but includes other sketches which I had not heard before, together with a booklet giving a mass of information about the four participants. Superb value for money!
on 4 February 2002
As the sixties heralded a quantum shift in music, so too in comedy. The Importance of Beyond The Fringe to modern humour can not be understated. This CD set captures the show at it prime, since often quoted jokes and one liners are here in their original setting. Though the sound quality is not as good as possibly one would hope. The age of the recording means anything clearer probably wouldn't be possible, and in a way it adds to the feel of the thing. Though some of the topical references maybe be lost on a younger audience, this is on the whole an outstanding CD set.
on 7 January 2006
British humor. What is it? As an american I have to confess, sometimes it leaves me in the dark. These four are different. They manage somehow to be witheringly irreverent and hilariously funny while making you think about topics that matter. Their comments on everything from pompous politicians to the previously sacrosanct British side of WWII ring true today, 40 years later. Their dry, ironic wit is so blazingly fast and exotically accented that repeated listening only brings more pleasure. These four revolutionized humor starting in 60's Britain and spreading around the english speaking world providing some of the early inspiration for such notables as Monty Python's Flying Circus. (see Wickipedia listing). I have searched high and low for this (thank you World Wide Web) and highly recommend it. Listen and Laugh for a long, long time.
on 15 October 2010
When I was 19 or so a friend gave me the record of Beyond the Fringe, the show which was of such different humour it shocked and jolted the establishment. But it was such a delight to see overturned some of the old stick-in-the-mud traditional thinking, and to question our die-hard views on life.
The 1960s were about to begin, and this was the force behind that crest of the wave. I was there!
To be frank, much of the humour may not be understood by those with no knowledge of those post-war hard times. But much is just funny as it stands. Enjoy the genius of all concerned. We shall not see their like again!
on 12 October 2015
Brings back happy memories of the Footlights and Beyond the Fringe in the West End. The wit and humour of Peter Cook, Jonathan Miller, Alan Bennett and Dudley Moore easily bridge the gap of more than 60 years.
on 12 March 2015
A great bit of nostalgia. So different to today's entertainment.
on 10 December 2014
See the brilliance and why they were so well regarded
on 10 June 2013
I almost feel out of the loop with some of this, as though I wasn't invited. Word for word this work is extremely good, and the performances appear to me strong, but I'm not sure that I'll be getting much more out of it from here on. Perhaps if I were around at the time, I'd appreciate its place in history better and utilise it more, but the set didn't seem to me to be much of an advancement from ITMA, say. Character focus and devious word play never fail, though. Sorry for the irrelevant review.
on 19 March 2010
This is a review of the mp3 download. Amazon being Amazon, they will probably include this review as a review of the CD set by the same name. But they are not the same thing, really.

The problem is, though it is supposed to be a 3-CD set, the files all download into the same folder, and all have the same album name. So when you play them in Windows Media Player, it plays track 1 from CD 1, then track 1 from CD 2, track 1 from CD 3, and so on.

Of course, it is possible to use the Advanced Tag Editor to change the album name, but you would have to do this for each track.