on 21 June 2017
Don’t you just cringe at those scenes where a young woman is trying to get away from a bloke and it seems like she is running in treacle because the faster she runs, even though the bloke is way behind without a care in the world, you just know she is a gonna. It’s like I can feel him breathing on my neck and his breathe is getting hotter the further I read down the page. Well hold that feeling. You will need it more than once as the young women of Glasgow are rapidly becoming victims of  this calm and calculating killer.
Meet Patrick, he is having a terrible time sleeping and once he sees the newspaper he knows why. Patrick sees dead people in visons , his fiancee Jodie 100 percent believes him but then again she hears dead people. They make a pretty cool team.  Now the police aren’t really getting anywhere fast, except to the morgue, where they seem quite frequent visitors, as the dead bodies of young woman keep appearing  all over the town. They haven’t a clue where to go on this case, so desperate times call for a more unusual approach than they have used before.
This is the first in the series of the Patrick McLaughlin books, so there is a little look back into the past on both Patrick and Jodie and how they met. Having such special gifts made them both pretty isolated as far as other friends go, that was until they met each other. To be honest being adults and having ‘normal’ friends wasn’t the greatest either. I mean who wants a mate that looks like a nutter chatting away to thin air!
Patrick knows that the only way to quieten the voices is to find the person that ended these women’s lives and so approaches DS Preston and DC Lang.  I love these two detectives that not only make a quite brilliant team they also bounce off each other like an old married couple. They certainly don’t always agree on everything  but they have each other covered.
There are some very shocking discoveries in this story that just give it plenty OMG moments as more of the story unfolds and it all becomes a race against time and very personal. This is a great introduction to the series.
on 23 June 2017
This book has been sitting on my kindle for far too long so I jumped at the chance to take part on this blog tour knowing that I would be able to read one of the books off my mountain pile. First of all I have to stay I am loving the new cover and personally I think it is what this book needed. The original cover to me looked like a Science fiction cover rather than crime.

It was only a couple of weeks ago that I read The Suicide Plan which is a novella introducing us to medium Patrick McLaughlin The author laid down all the foundations for the start of what I could see was going to be a brilliant series. And I am delighted to say that Beyond evidence is simply brilliant I totally loved it.

With a brilliant prologue we follow a story set in Glasgow, lies a female corpse which no one knows about apart from Patrick McLaughlin. Meanwhile local police are requesting DNA samples after several murders have taken place. The dreams Patrick has of the female hold the key to the murders identity. Working alongside the police can Patrick help track down the Killer?

Like I have said before I am a big fan and believer in the supernatural and I love how the author has entwined this element into a crime story making it different.

Patrick and Jodie make a brilliant team and couple both being gifted. Rather them than me though, as much has I love reading about it and seeing mediums myself I don't think I would like to hear and see things like that. But I love the fact they use their gift to help people. Making them the good guys.

This is certainly a page turner I read it in one afternoon the author grabs you from start and keep you there until the very last page. I cannot wait to read the next book in the series.
This is the first book featuring medium Patrick McLaughlin and Jodie who also has psychic abilities. There is a lot of background to Patrick and Jodie which I liked as in many books in a series we never really get to know that much about them so Beyond Evidence sets the series off superbly.

Patrick and Jodie are sure to be a hit with readers. They are a great couple. The fact that they both have special abilities and that they utilise them to help others is with out a doubt a good thing. It’s probably not so great for them as they tend to see or feel things that they would rather not. It also brings them to the attention of the police and I can see many future books of them working alongside them on plenty of cases.

The story starts of with a gripping prologue and then into an even more gripping first chapter. The author certainly knows how to get the readers attention. I knew as soon as I started it that it would have my full attention and the rest of the outside world could wait. Which it did.

Beyond Evidence is a great start to a new series. I love the whole super natural aspect of the story and it just gives it that edge as there are so many similar crime series’ out there that this was a breath of fresh air.
After being introduced to Emma Clapperton's work in The Suicide Plan (free introductory novella) I have been chomping at the bit to find out more about Patrick and Jodie, and where they will be led to next.
Beyond Evidence hits the ground running and it isn't long before Patrick's extra senses are being tested. I enjoyed learning more about Patrick and Jodie's gifts, that were also a hindrance into their daily lives. It was a great insight into how he came aware of his gifts, as well as how his relationship with Jodie developed.
Patrick goes to the Police with his visions and we are then introduced to Preston and Lang, one is more sceptical than the other and is unsure of how involved Patrick is with the crimes that are being committed in Glasgow.
This is such a different take on other crime novels, and I found that it held all the elements of what I love in crime/thriller novels and the paranormal twist added to the book rather than took away from the intensity and found the lead characters captivating on many levels.
A spellbinding read where the paranormal elements enhances the storylines and creates and enthralling and unusual genre.
The basic idea behind the plot is nothing new but quite intriguing and a subject I enjoy in fiction; psychics/mediums. Place those themes into an ongoing police investigation into multiple murders and that's enough to draw most readers in.

Key character 'Patrick McLaughlin' is a believable medium and his dark dream scenes are quite good, reasonably well evoked.

The Glasgow setting works well and Emma Clapperton helps her novel along by placing 'Beyond Evidence' in a setting she's obviously familiar with. Adds some realism.

As the plot moves along the murders crank up and Patrick McLaughlin becomes more and more embroiled with the police investigation to the point his sanity is threatened and he might have some dark, terrible decisions to make....or maybe lose his life?.

Although I enjoyed the idea of the plot there were more than a few basic mistakes; especially where the police investigation was concerned. If you're prepared to suspend a lot of belief and take this novel at face value then you're probably going to enjoy it. Parts of it are certainly entertaining.
on 25 July 2017
Loved this book, the story is filled with twists and turns (although from a readers perspective you can figure it out early on) it is still great when the twists are revealed to the characters in the book. Book is fast paced and short enough to read in nearly one sitting. It is that kind of book you don't want to put down and so is best kept for a day where you can dedicate some time to read it. I love the paranormal aspect here and that it's not always clear what messages the mediums receive, interpretation is required. Overall this was really enjoyable and I am looking forward to starting the sequel. I think Emma has set herself up for a really good series here.
on 9 March 2016
beyond evidence by Emma L Clapperton.
In an alleyway in Glasgow lies a decomposing corpse of a slain female baking in the midday heat. No one has found her yet, but medium Patrick McLaughlin knows she is there. It is not the first time he has dreamt of death... and it will not be the last.
a fantastic read with brilliant characters. loved Patrick he was my favourite character. 5*. bloodhound books.
on 14 March 2017
I really enjoyed this book it was a great storyline keeping me intrigued with every page turned.believable characters.will definitely be keeping a lookout for this fine author.
on 22 September 2014
keep me guessing, I believe in spirit's and if you don't it may make you think! only criticism is I had to look up authors first book this one before I could appreciate second book as this book has a lot of references in the second and now I'm off to start second one again, but all in all I loved it.
on 28 June 2017
This book was recommended by Denzil Meyrick and I thought I'd give it a try. So glad I did! Really enjoyed the mix of crime thriller and ghostly goings on. Would definitely recommend it