Customer reviews

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£4.49

on 28 August 2011
This is a very brief book, very much a child's one and not as full filling as I would have liked. It gives a very clear and unemotional image of the LADY (Not Princess) Elizabeth's youth. I purchased this ebook for my holiday and was slightly disapointed in the way the author glossed over Elizabeth's feelings at certain points.
However, it does give younger readers an insight to Elizabeth's turbulent teens and will hopefully inspire them to learn more.
For older readers, a better book is the Lady Elizabeth, by Alison Weir. In fact, even Traitor's Kiss by Pauline Francis is more engaging, even if it is a lttle fantasised and off topic at times.
All in all, a good book for under 13s but a little irritating for older, more educated readers.
33 Comments| One person found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 September 2002
I think that I can honestly say that Beware, Princess Elizabeth is one of the best books that I've ever read. I read it within one day, and I couldn't stop reading!
This book starts out when the famous Queen is a young teenager, when her father, Henry VIII dies. It goes on about how her little brother became king at such a young age, how she lived with her stepmother, and many other things. But a large chuck of the book is about the fight for the throne between Elizabeth and her Catholic sister, Mary. I don't want to give too much details: JUST READ THE BOOK!!! =)
This book is definetely a must- read!
on 30 March 2004
'Expecting the queen's guards to seize me, I waited, breathing in ragged gasps while my horse was brought to the courtyard... Each step carried me away from the hateful queen but not, I feared, away from danger.'
When Elizabeth Tudor's father, Henry VIII, dies her life changes for ever. She is treated strangely by the new king, Edward VI, and when he dies her sister, Princess Mary, becomes Queen. Elizabeth is imprisoned by her jealous sister but she fights back. One day she will be queen.
This story is very interesting and you get the full image of Tudor life. Caroline Meyer writes as if she is there and you see how hard it was for Elizabeth.
My favourite part of the story is when Elizabeth is at Court and they have all the big banquets it all sounds very elaborate and you get a really good picture of what was happening.
This is a fantastic book and I recommend to read it.
on 19 November 2005
This was the 2nd book by Carolyn Meyer in the Young Royal series that I read, about Elizabeth Tudor's life from when she was 13 up until she was 25 and became Queen of England. It starts the long, interesting life of our fabulous monarch when she was a young child, aged 13, and when her great, rich and famous - and also bloated, fat and ugly - father King Henry VIII, king of 6 wives, dies, aged 55 in January of 1547. Elizabeth's future is uncertain, now that her 9-year old brother Edward is king of England, not even 10 years old yet. King Edward rules from 1547 to 1553, ignoring both his sisters and acting in a most peevish and despicable way. When he dies in July of 1553, only fifteen, Elizabeth's sister Mary - now 37 - is to be Queen of England; as Edward had no wife and therefore obviously no children. But Edward's distant cousin, Lady Jane Grey - King Henry VIII's great-niece and only a few days older than the dead Edward - is told to sabotage the throne of England and steal the crown. Jane is clever and she doesn't want to. Right now, Elizabeth is nearly 20, her sister 17 years older than her. But Mary comes up with an army and defeats them all, sentencing Jane and her supporters to be beheaded at the block. Mary becomes queen for 5 years - ending in 1558 - burning 300 Protestants and earning the hatred of many Englishmen. When she dies in 1558, aged 42, Elizabeth becomes queen. An excellent novel, but quite weak coming from this great author. Probably the most boring out of the 4 Young Royal books.
33 Comments| 2 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 February 2014
This part of history fascinates me, I love to read about Henry 8th, his wives and in particular Elizabeth 1st. This book fits the bill perfectly you can really feel Elizabeth's fear for her life and the bad relationship she had with her half sister. I will certainly be recommending this book to my friends and family.
on 25 April 2009
'"The King id dead."'
These are the words that 13 year old Elizabeth Tudor heard when her Father died. And they are also the first words in Beware, Princess Elizabeth. It coevrs her growing up, in almost exact historical detail.
Her love for her brother, who is rather silly at times. Her hate for her cruel sister, Mary, who imprisons her in the tower, and another amount of miserable places. And the determination and hope that one day that she will be queen.

I really enjoyed this book, however it was a bit slow paced, but good.
on 19 July 2015
Couldn't put this book (Kindle) down. Read this in one day. Highly recommended. I felt I was actually there. Buy it, you won't be disappointed.
on 28 October 2012
Again well written and a very good storey, it was as good as I expected it to be and will read it again as once is not enough.
on 3 September 2013
i enjoyed reading this book and felt
lt it took me to where it wanted the reader to go a great tudor book
on 2 February 2013
Full of facts but has much emotion written in like I was Queen Elizabeth's other telling me all her feelings