Between the Image and the Word: Theological Engagements with Imagination, Language and Literature (Ashgate Studies in Theology, Imagination and the Arts) Hardcover – 13 Sep 2013
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Enter your mobile number below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
'The fourteenth century poet Petrarch, in one of his letters, posed this rhetorical question: "What is theology if not poetry about God?" In this collection of illuminating essays, grounded in an excursus on the inevitable character of theological language as thinkers from Aquinas to Ricoeur have understood it, Trevor Hart explores with insight and verve the theological potential in verbal and visual imagery (ut picture poesis). The result is a highly stimulating contribution to reflection on the nature of theology itself as well as on its fruitful dance among the arts.'David Jeffrey, Baylor University Waco, USA
About the Author
Trevor Hart is Professor of Divinity and (since 2000) Director of the Institute for Theology, Imagination and the Arts in the University of St Andrews. Formerly Lecturer in Systematic Theology in the University of Aberdeen, he is the author and editor of numerous publications including Faith Thinking (SPCK, 2000), Regarding Karl Barth (Paternoster, 1999), Hope Against Hope (Eerdmans,1999), Tolkien, Literature and Theology (Baylor, 2007), Faithful Performances (Ashgate, 2007), and Patterns of Promise (Ashgate, 2012).
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Art, Architecture & Photography > Subjects within Art > Religious Subjects
- Books > History > Ancient History & Civilisation > Aztec, Inca & Mayan
- Books > History > Religious History > Christianity
- Books > Religion & Spirituality > Christianity > Theology > Philosophy
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Philosophy