on 11 November 2013
Dana Stabenow can write - brilliantly...

The characters come alive to the point where I found myself unconsciously checking the online weather one day to see what the flying conditions were in Alaska...

Either I'm crazy (quite possible) or Dana Stabenow creates characters that become real after a few chapters and wraps them in a story that makes Alaska real in a way that is so clear you could touch it. You have a clear picture of Bill's bar, the airfield, fish camp, everything!

Stunning...
on 6 January 2012
Having now read all four of the books in this series (to date?), I have become an avid fan. Although the text may be a little too slow for some, the amount of detail is great and the detail itself fascinating. It's a whole new world, in which the culture and the pace of life is very different to that in (most parts of) the UK.

For soap fans the fluctuating relationship between Liam and Wy will have especial interest; for fans of geography this will provide an insight into Alaska, one of the most amazing areas of the world, never mind the US; and then there is, of course, for the detectives amongst us, at least one murder to solve where we can pit our wits against the troopers.

But there is so much more in these books. My only minor criticism is that there is too much sex between those who should be too old for it to be known about, but perhaps that's pure jealousy on my part...

DJ
on 14 August 2015
I have read all the Liam Campbell books and this one does not disappoint. He is a great character, well drawn, funny and very believeable The storyline had àll the well known support characters. I hope Dana writes more of him.
on 5 August 2013
An accomplished plot that keeps you guessing to the end. There is a fairly pronounced undertone of relationships and sex, which finally you see is necessary to the motive of the plot, but possibly a little overcooked tha n is needed to underpin the mystery.

The series is ,in my view best read in sequence, though not absolutely necessary as the author helpfully adds past background of the characters for those that halve not read the prequels. For the dogged reader this repetition might be a little annoying . As the series progesses there will be a need for more of the content to provide background.

All that said it did not spoil my enjoyment of the book either in the characterisation or in the way the Alaskan Bush and its indigenous population is ably portrayed.
on 30 June 2013
The last Liam Campbell book unless the author resurrects the series. A good read filled with mainly believable characters and Liam making some life changing decisions. Set in Alaska.

Enjoyed the series.
on 19 April 2013
i love this book but then i am somewhat biased as i have read the other 3 in this series and can say with absolute confidence i am starting to enjoy just about anything Dana Stabenow writes BRILLIANT.
on 19 September 2014
Absolutely brilliant, love the style of writing, Dana Stabenow has obviously lived the Alaskan life, (of which I find myself very jealous of) just the right degree of action, as true to life, with those human failings we all have in our personal lives. I intend to go through all her work. Thanks for good writing.
on 14 February 2014
Having now read all four in the series, I can say that for the most part I enjoyed them. Liam and Wy now seem slightly more settled (only slightly though) and newly promoted Liam may even be overcoming his fear of flying (only maybe). A slightly silly story of a downed war plane but I felt this story moved along at a better pace that book 3. I do however think that these stories have run their course.
on 17 April 2013
An interesting story but very similar to The Shugak plots. Still there were sub facets that were nice touches. A change of location in the USA for example .
on 31 October 2013
love this author. she is really good and the characters and series she does are all addictive. i really want to go to alaska now