The Best Intentions: Kofi Annan and the UN in the Era of American World Power Hardcover – 6 Nov 2006
|New from||Used from|
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
'A heartbreaking book about a hardworking idealist's frustrated attempts to restore the stature of the cumbersome United Nations in a world dominated by "the preemptively belligerent America".' Kirkus PRAISE FOR THE DEVIL'S PLAYGROUND 'A compact history of Times Square, its slow decline into porn-and-drug-fueled depravity, and its resurrection as a cleaned-up, corporate-sponsored shopping center. It offers a dizzying demonstration of just how many Manhattans have occupied the same slice of real estate.' New York Times 'James Traub's new book The Devil's Playground traces the history of one of the most legendary spots in the Big Apple.' NPR
About the Author
James Traub has been a contributing writer for The New York Times Magazine since 1998, where he writes about international affairs, US foreign policy, and national political issues. He has written three books, including City On A Hill and The Devil's Playground. He lives in New York City.
Top Customer Reviews
The book shows the gentle and hopeful nature of a very intelligent man that wishes to point the world in the right directions and great difficulties he is having due to bureaucrat that is holding him back, as well as having his hands tied by the US Administration, or the threat of veto by any one of the 5 nations holding that right within the Security Council. It asks the question of what is the UN, and how does it fit in with the political agendas of some of the worlds most powerful states.
Most importantly it is a grabbing read that lets you into a world of an elite that is otherwise untouchable.
Strongly recommend to anyone who wants to have a broader view.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > History > Britain & Ireland > Edwardian and Early 20th Century 1901-1913
- Books > History > Britain & Ireland > Inter-war Period 1919-1938
- Books > History > Essays, Journals, Letters & True Accounts > 20th Century
- Books > History > Europe > Early 20th Century 1901-1913
- Books > History > Europe > Inter-war Period 1919-1938
- Books > History > North America > Early 20th Century 1901-1913
- Books > History > North America > Inter-war Period 1919-1938
- Books > History > World History > 1901-1913
- Books > History > World History > Inter-war Period 1919-1938
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Government & Politics > International Institutions