The Best Book of Puns Paperback – 25 Aug 1998
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
From the Back Cover
As Oscar Levant said many years ago, "A pun is the lowest form of wit, especially if you didn't think of it first." In this lively collection you'll find a hilarious abundance of pun-ishment for the millions who can't resist giving a word or phrase a twist... and ammunition for many occasions from movie, TV and theatre wags; from the wits of Wall Street and Washington... the gems from poets and pundits and some of the bottom-of-the-barrel crumbs!
Golf is like taxes. You drive hard to get to the green and wind up in the hole.
A monastery in financial trouble decided to go into the fish-and-chips industry to raise revenues. One night a customer knocked on the door and a monk answered. "Are you the fishfriar?" the customer asked. "No," the robed figurereplied, "I'm the chipmonk."
The book also contains a PUNdix, a PUNabridged dictionary and a collection of the best... and worst... jokes in the world!
About the Author
Hope was in the forefront of the entertainment world for virtually his entire life. Primarily a comedian, he also acted, sang, and even danced, hosted his own radio and television shows, and starred in sixty movies. Bob Hope's dedication to and love for the American GI is legendary. He has received more than two thousand awards and citations for his humanitarian and professional efforts, and has been honored and befriended by every U.S. president since Franklin Roosevelt.
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
Anyhow, this is a very worthy exploration of the play on words. There's a fine Art to the pun and his surname is Moger! Having studied the pun in some depth, among other things he is in a position to reveal that 95% words in the English language can be incorporated into word-play (while the other 5% can be ex-pun-ged as im-pun-etrable). Just be warned that this book was published all the way back in 1991. Those who are hoping to accompany their afternoon tea with a 'current pun' may find themselves disappointed.
PS. What a howling shame that so many modern comedians favour potty-mouthed vocabulary over ingenuity of word-play. All we hear from certain popular comics is a tirade of effing and jeffing. These days, you'll even witness the S-word uttered on TV- before the watershed! What a terrible example for our youngsters! Anyone who fancies themself as a sophisticated humorist would do well to remember that "The pun is mightier than the S-word"!