Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Exclusive playlist - Elton John Pre-order now Shop Women's Shop Men's

Format: DVD|Change

on 5 September 2009
Benny hill is a Master of comedy .Charlie Chaplin, who died in 1977, was a fan of Hill's work: Hill had discovered that Chaplin, his childhood idol, was a fan when he was invited to Chaplin's home in Switzerland by Chaplin's family and discovered that Chaplin had a collection of Hill's work on video. Hill and Dennis Kirkland were the first outside the family to be invited into Chaplin's private study. Hill was awarded the Charlie Chaplin International Award for Comedy at the 1991 Festival of Comedy in Vevey, Switzerland. and this DVD set of 12 DVD'S Benny Hill:The Complete 70's Annual (Repackaged) [DVD] 1970'S is great to own on DVD you also get Benny hill from 1969 and under the special Feature you have A half-hour silent starring Benny Hill . Eddie in August 1970 . rest in peace Master of comedy
Benny Hill 21 January 1924 - 20 April 1992 .you are Deeply Missed
33 Comments| 50 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 February 2009
Political Correctness be damned - Benny was and still is the master of post card comedy and will never be bettered. If you like corny gags, innuendo and slapstick then this is the set for you. Laugh out loud funny with no foul language and no nastiness! Sheer class and genius!
33 Comments| 40 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 January 2011
I bought this for my Dad as a Christmas gift. He loved it.
Watching some of it with him brought back so many memories of the first time around when the whole family would be together.
Benny Hill was a comic genius. Some of his jokes were lame but done so well that they were still funny. When he starts cracking up beore the punchline it just adds to the merriment. He had some truly memorable characters and enjoyed parodying shows of the day.
A great social document too. Did we really dress like that!
My friends who have become knee-jerk PC types trotted out the usual nonsense about racism, sexism etc. While sometimes it does seem close to this a more thoughful viewing shows that these characters were presented as positive personalities who always got the last laugh. Men inevitably had the tables turned on them by women (witness the famous chase scenes during the closing credits).
One other thing. Benny Hill did not need to swear to make a point or to come over as "trendy" to his audience.
I'll be buying my own copy.
on 14 March 2016
It's just brilliant! Benny Hill was such a talented man - not only writing and performing all the scripts, but the comic songs as well -and I hate the fact that he has been much maligned by people not half as clever or funny as he. He was the first British comic to break the States, received awards in France (spoke fluent French, too!) and his ideas were widely copied - particularly by those beloved stalwarts of UK comedy, The Two Ronnies. It's great to be able to see these classic shows again ... even if the networks won't broadcast them ... thank you for making them available to me and all Benny's other fans.
on 23 August 2010
As I said, the item is great.
There's only one problem: on the amazon page (which you can see) it says very clearly: ENGLISH SUBTITLES.
My discs arrived and, well, NO SUBTITLES AT ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
As a non-native English speaker I rely on subtitles a lot to better understand films and tv shows. I'm very disappointed, I thought Amazon was a serious seller.
Thanks for deceiving me!
on 12 February 2014
The 70s Benny Hill shows , what can one say, no political correctness to be seen anywhere, some shows really hit the spot and others fall a little short, I suppose it depends on your sense of humour, but slapstick abounds, and lots and lots of inuendo, you won't see the likes again so grab it now, before the PC brigade ban it!!
on 27 April 2010
BROUGHT BACK A LOT OF MEMORIES AND CREATED JUST AS MANY LAUGHS AS THE FIRST TIME I SAW THEM
on 21 September 2011
Just viewed my way through all of these "annuals" and have re-lived many happy times. I grew up watching BH in the 50's and into the 60's too and, as far as I am concerned, his standards never faltered (although he did repeat a lot of his lines and sketches and I could have done without his use of annoying children in some of his later work).

The shows, as it says in the Amazon blurb are complete, even down to the musical numbers and guests. Whatever happened to Eira Heath, Berry Cornish (sounds like an ice cream) and Eddie Buchanan? Sadly, the lovely Diana Darvey died of a fall at the comparatively early age of 54. What a waste.

Michael Caine once said that Benny Hill was like a naughty cherub; and he was right. For cheeky innuendo, saucy (but never offensive) sketches and really clever songs, you can't beat him.

If you are of a certain age, like me, then buy this set and take a trip back to a time when TV meant variety and not an endless obsession with game shows, celebrities and soaps.

(the set is worth it for the "Salute to the Lower Tidmarsh Volunteer Ambulance Service, alone)

R.I.P, Benny.
on 27 October 2013
Well, what can I say that is new about Benny Hill? He was a genius in comedy, I think he was the best comic of that era, I haven't laughed so much for a long time, this DVD is absolutely classic,I would recommend this to anyone who used to watch the Benny Hill Show back in the seventies,it is just timeless. There is no one to beat his humour today.
on 5 June 2012
As a 70's baby i missed these the first time round but watched them in the 80's when my parents would let me. So what do I think to them now ? There are some sketches and mock interviews that feel and look dated but the non vocal sketches with the sound effects and speeded up film is comedy at its finest. The man is genius, and im about to buy thr second box set.