Customer reviews

on 13 July 2013
Receiving this book was an absolute delight. Having only paid £20 for a hardback book I really didn't know what to expect, but honestly if you are currently unsure, take it from me and buy this book. It is beautiful, and £20 is an absolute bargain for its quality. Its a large, good quality book and the prints of the photos are wonderful. Having watched Crewdson's documentary film Brief Encounters I wanted to look at the photos properly and not just on my laptop. This was such a treat to open and enjoy, and there are also behind the scenes photos of the production side at the back of the book too which I found fascinating. I'm extremely happy with my purchase, its well worth the money and I have a lot of photography books.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 14 November 2014
I saw this book a few years back and was staggered at how good the images were and I could only imagine how long they took to set up. I eventually got a copy at a great price on Amazon and its a great coffee table book. Worth reading also as it gives details. The photography is cinema like and the production is on that scale. There is a good DVD documentary on Gregory Crewdson which also goes into detail of some of the shoots in the book which is also worth watching.
on 26 November 2008
After researching Gregory Crewdson in University I became hooked on his photography. His images have this awe about them. Seemingly just ordinary photographs, but when you study each still you notice minute details that when brought together form elaborate yet magical scenes. When you read about how much thought, effort and money goes into creating each single frame, you begin to appreciate his brilliance.

This book is quite large, but that just means you get to see every frame in detail, and with 140 pages, the price makes this a bargain.

This book is great for anyone who appreciates imagery and is recommended 100%.
on 27 December 2008
I love this book i think that the images draw your attention and captures your imagination straight away. The way in which he takes the images are unique, almost like film stills, the lighting, colours and overall subtle narrative give an abandond feel as if something has happend or taken over. The charactors look dispondent they each draw you in to look at the details clueing together the pieces. I love the overall theme of his work although similar to earlier book 'twilight' the book is worth buying it is quite big which i love as big images absorb you all the more. His twilight scenes and interesting lighting techniques it what made Gregory Crewdson one of my favourite photographers.
review imagereview imagereview image
on 2 October 2012
Many art/photo books are too small to really appreciate the work but Beneath the Roses by Gregory Crewdson has beautiful, large photographs printed on quality paper and a sturdy hardcover that make this a top quality piece.

Crewdson is a master of staged scenes in which he creates mystical, ethereal and often dramatic images. He is a brilliant modern photographer and this book showcases many of his beautiful images. It's a joy to study the huge, colorful photos.

The only negative is the corners of the hardcover were slightly damaged as are many books I've received from Amazon but not badly enough to worry about returning. It obviously devalues items somewhat though and Amazon should improve their packing as at least 80% of the books I've bought have minor damage. Can't complain too much though as books are so much more expensive in Australia.
on 13 October 2009
The craftsmanship of the images is immaculate, but the subject matter is a tad over-familiar to followers of Crewdson's work. Some of the tableaux don't seem to go much beyond lazy shorthand of the dark underbelly of Americana, a la Twin Peaks.

The reproductions are a little flat in comparison to the exhibition prints I saw at White Cube.

There is a behind the scenes section at the back of the book that throws light on Crewdson's working method and the sheer logistic achievement involved in the creation of these images.

Overall, I rate the anthology of his ouevre much more than this tome, as ideas behind the photos are a bit stale comparatively.
on 20 January 2010
I purchased this book for my son for Christmas. He is a location manager for television.Personally I thought the pictures were excellent. Beautifully composed and imaginative. My son saw a great deal more. There was a lot left "unsaid" in the pictures and the viewer had to decide for himself what was behind a closed door or window.
A very impressive collect of prints. The book arrived in good condition , very well packed and undamaged. Excellent service for my very first order.
on 4 March 2011
I bought this as a present for my other half who I know is a fan of Gregory Crewdson, and we were both really pleased with it.

The book is huge, much bigger than I expected for the price, and there are also a lot more images than I thought - so it's good value for money.

The photos are brilliant too and we spent ages going through the book together, twice, as soon as it was opened. I would definitely recommend this.
on 13 December 2013
The photographs in this book are out of this world. I just had to obtain a copy after seeing a exhibition of this artist works in Wellington New Zealand, what's more even after postage I saved a considerable amount than if I had bought it in New Zealand
on 9 October 2011
Beautiful photos of empty streets and human drama. Looks like he was inspired by Edward Hopper.
The book itself is also a work of art with behind the scenes material included.