Customer reviews

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£4.37

on 20 June 1999
Bertice Small portrays the strength that only a woman can have through her charater, Zenobia. Zenobia goes from the daughter of a wealthy nomad to a powerful and respected Queen. She defeats those who said she couldn't and showed strength beyond belief. From her defeat of the Roman empire, to her defeat of her fear of the Roman race itself, she shows courage and insight. She gives woman of today the optimism to continue on through hardship. Zenobia also teaches how to lose the ones you love and still manage to overcome grief. The lose of her mother, through the visciousness of Roman guards, the lose of her husband the King, brought on by jealousy, and the lose of her father to old age. All of these things show woman how to overcome heartache. Through her adventures and courage this book is brought to life. Bertice Small did an amazing job with her book,Beloved.
on 26 July 1999
As a fan of Beatrice Small's books, I came across this book when I was shopping. Just after reading the description on the back cover, I was so intrigued I knew I had to buy this book. The main character Zenobia is very strong like Cailin in "Love Remember, Me". She was lucky to fall in love with two men. I especially enjoyed reading how she became reunited with Marcus after being enslaved by the wicked Aurelian. It seems to me that both Zenobia and Marcus are two soulmates fated to be together. Just reading page after page, you just can't put the book down. This one is defenitley magnificent!
on 24 February 2012
Oh my goodness! This book (for me) was so misleading, and in fact I can honestly say I REALLY disliked it! I was so sick of reading historical novels that were nothing but mush and sickly lovey dovey so I thought, hey lets go for something with a little more substance and so bought this book. But what a waste of a fiver that was because this book is soooooo rubbish!

As I hate ranting reviews that give no reason for their opinion I will try and justify my opinion to some degree. Honestly, I just wanted to read a historical romance with substance and although this book had substance, it was not enough to make up for the fact that the story line and the trail of events that followed did the story no justice, some parts were rushed while other parts dragged for endless minutes, that I found myself skipping pages and that's when you know something's wrong. This novel should not be in the 'romance' genre because it lacks exactly that, and the slight hints at romance consisted of badly constructed, cringe worthy, sex scenes.

It was purely for the value of my kindle that I didn't throw it out of the window.
on 6 March 2012
I am a great fan of 'the Kadin' by the same author (life in an ottoman harem for the scottish mother of Suleiman the great) and would heartily recommend trying that one to any fans of B Small. When I saw the story line of Beloved - 3rd century real life queen of Palmyene/Syria - Zenobia I was excited about reading the book. I hoped for the same historical detail given in 'the Kadin' however it wasn't quite there. That said I still enjoyed the book and it gave enough insight into life at the time under the roman empire etc and the life and history of Zenobia was reasonably accurate, more of an historical love story with some very steamey sex scenes as only B Small can do than an historical fiction but still worth getting....
on 28 April 1999
A wonderful book about a woman who did existed. Although the whole book was of BSmall's imagination, isn't that what a fictional novel is? I loved the imagery. Zenobia's growing up years as both her father's daughter and as Odenthaus (sp?) just added to a magnificiant storyline! Once, again, this author has captured my attention and brought me back for more.
on 22 June 1999
"Beloved" simply IS the top of its genre. Bertrice Small's typewriter (which she was still using then, I believe) was sprinkled with fairy dust when she wrote this fictionalization of Zenobia's life. Unfortunately, she wasn't able to keep up this pace, and her last truly great book was "Wild Jasmine."