Format: Paperback|Change

on 26 August 2004
An excellent and very readable book - this should be meditated upon by all Christians who aim to deepen and develop their spirituality. It is practical and at the same time, fires the imagination and challenges the reader. There is a strong emphasis on priestliness rather than the priesthood - which I believe can apply to anyone. Whilst the writers are from the Anglican tradition, what is written is applicable to any Christian denomination.I particularly liked the quotations from writers such as Herbert, Donne, Hopkins & RS Thomas, showing how priestliness has been expressed at different times: that the foundations remain unchanged, despite much needed changes in the 21st church. I shall be re-reading it!
on 11 August 2008
I approached this book with some reluctance, having been told to read it by my Vocations Director as I am considering ordination. I am approaching ordination with an eye to Fresh Expressions of church, pioneer ministry, emerging church, etc; so I was looking for answers to question such as: "Can I be Anglican? Can I cope with what priesthood is meant to be about? Can the principles in this book be applied in more radical forms of church?"

These questions were all answered positively in multiple ways. The writers have a grasp of the big picture; they get to the essence of "what ministry is all about" in ways that both challenged and resonated with my thinking.

I would agree strongly that this book is not just for priests. In fact - given that the whole essence of the ordained priesthood is to model, enable and release the essential calling of all believers to carry on the ministry of Jesus - even if I am not ordained I would want to revisit this book to understand the breadth of the normal Christian life.

The book is not necessarily an easy read for all. But dry and long-winded? If you prefer Dilbert comic books on your wish list, maybe... I fear for the upcoming college experience of that reviewer, I must admit.

A fact worthy of note: the book has two authors. Some of the chapters are written by Cocksworth, some by Brown, and a couple are joint efforts. The collaboration gives the book an extra dimension of flexibility. Because the two of them in discussion have realised the huge differences between them, I think this has led them to be less prescriptive ("this is how it should be") and more exploratory and positive ("this is how it CAN be").

Excellent. If you would argue for the priesthood of all believers, get this book. You'll find out what you signed up to!
on 31 May 2005
I begin ordination training in September and so have had to read a number of books on the subject. This book is on a decent premise but is really slow and quite dull. I liked the idea of looking at the roots, shape and fruit of a "priestly life" but so much is included that you can't see the wood for the trees. There are much better books on the topic. Try "Ministry in 3 dimensions" by Steven Croft or "Called or Collared" by Frances Dewar.
on 11 January 2014
I found this book very useful for reflecting on the many aspects and responsibilities of ordained ministry. It is well written to assist readers from a great breadth of churchmanships. In fact, there's very little I disagree with in this book, but I felt at times that the authors shied away from speaking about sin and forgiveness (perhaps to maintain a wide appeal?)...but surely the greatest task of the priest is to address the greatest need of their flock (namely, forgiveness)!
on 13 September 2014
This is a very good book, and would recommend it to anyone wondering what the life of a priest in the Anglican/Episcopal church is like. To write in such a clear, concise manner is very helpful, and helps in the discernment process. It is not only useful for would be ordinands to read, but would actually be useful to anyone who would like to understand the inner workings of a priest, with their own battles to find rest and peace.
on 6 November 2014
A really good read by all standards - very informative and relevant to the subject. Just wondering now, how come I am only chancing on it now. Good stuff. I also recommend one titled “Doing Business with God” – here’s a link:

11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 April 2009
Best book yet of the many I have read. Insightful, informative exploration of what lies at the heart of a calling to serve as a priest. Honest engagement witht he challenges that will be faced as well as not being frightened to challenge the sense of vocation currently held. Highly reccomended.
on 24 July 2010
Excellent book, not for facts but for inspiration. It opened up new ways of thinking for me.
on 6 February 2011
This is a renowned set piece for anyone considering ordination. Like numerous academic contributions to human knowledge, it would benefit from a rigorous editor and a generous dose of punctuation. Which is a shame as what the authors have to say is, no doubt, important. Personally, I just wish they'd say it in plain English. Good luck to anyone who has to wade through it.
on 27 March 2013
I bought this several years ago, and recently re-read it and bought another copy for someone else in the discernment process.