Enter your mobile number below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
|Print List Price:||£8.99|
Save £4.00 (44%)
Amazon Media EU S.à r.l.
Price set by seller.
Behind Enemy Lines: The Autobiography of Britain's Most Decorated Living War Hero Kindle Edition
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
It also gives an insight into a certain generation when you either had jam or butter on your bread,not both, bad manners were not tollerated and travel by public transport or foot was the norm. I'm not sure I would walk 3 miles for Sunday dinner, I could, but I don't think I would. Although he clearly feels that his rugby wasn't up to much, compared to his brother, few get to play at that level and his achievements whether during or post war make a remarkable story.
Having met the author I have to say that he still maintains the charm that comes over in the book and a remarkable amount of modesty considering his experiences and achievements. A very good read and recommended as a Xmas present for anyone with an interest in WWII.
Definitely worth purchasing if you want a nice easy read to while away a few hours at an airport!
What a man !!
In many ways his war was a mere interval. A Scot from Newtonmore in the Highlands, with many similarities to the great Eric Liddell: his grandfather, a minister in the Church of Scotland, his father who worked for many years overseas in India in the Indian Civil service, while his brothers and sisters were all sporty: two brothers who played rugby for Scotland: Phil, known as GPS, was captain of the Grand Slam of 1925; while his brother in law, HJ Kittermaster was Scotland's stand-off. It was hardly surprising that his paths crossed with Liddell, and he too took up sport seriously: rugby: for Oxford University and London Scottish; athletics, and even for a time cricket. It isn't supposed to be a book full of name dropping: Abrahams, Bannister, Chataway, the Czech Zatopek, and the 1948 silver medallist, June Gardner - whose light dimmed behind the victorious Dutch housewife Fanny Bankers-Koen; it was just that all these runners were around where he frequented, and they all got on well together, and if you like your sport you'll like this.
His post-war career took him everywhere in business, working closely with the likes of the Brooke Bond Group, TSB, Sears Roebuck of Chicago, Boustead of Singapore, and Louis Leonowens, in Thailand - son of the Anna in the King & I story, and wherever he went it appears results came, too.Read more ›
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Seemed a little far-fetched at the beginning but I realised it was of course all true.Published 1 month ago by Ellen Jopling
Would have preferred to concentrate more on his wartime experiences, but an interesting man.Published 2 months ago by Alan Jamieson
A brilliant book about an exceptional man, merits the highest mark possiblePublished 2 months ago by Mr Peter J Legge
A truly remarkable account of an amazing life. A real war hero, who went on to have a very successful career in business.Published 6 months ago by David James Sulman
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Biography > Historical > 1901 Onwards
- Books > Biography > Historical > Britain > 1901 Onwards
- Books > Biography > Historical > Britain > Military
- Books > Biography > Historical > Countries & Regions > Europe
- Books > Biography > Political > Britain
- Books > Biography > War & Espionage > World War II
- Books > History > Britain & Ireland > Ireland
- Books > History > Military History > Military Life & Institutions
- Books > History > World History > World War II 1939-1945 > Battles & Campaigns
- Books > History > World History > World War II 1939-1945 > Biographies & Memoirs
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Biography & True Accounts > Historical > Europe > General
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Biography & True Accounts > Historical > Europe > Ireland
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Biography & True Accounts > Historical > Military & Wars > World War II
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Biography & True Accounts > Historical > United Kingdom
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Biography & True Accounts > Leaders & Notable People > Political
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Biography & True Accounts > Professionals & Academics
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > History > Military