on 23 November 2011
Once I started reading this I realised the huge flaw in the training I had been doing with my reactive rescue border collie. I simply didn't understand what he was saying a lot of the time. Now I feel I can better interpret his body language and what is going inside his very intelligent little head and he gave me that "finally, she gets what I'm on about" look that BCs are so good at.

It's not an instant fix. Especially as for various constraints it's difficult to impossible for me to set up BAT situations, I just have to go with what presents itself. But I finally feel I must be on the right road as the other day not only did he allow me to say bonjour to two men with guns, one with a wriggling dachshund tucked under one arm, he also allowed me to stop and chat about organic gardening with a neighbour who stood really close to us and whose rough collie was wandering about us all the time. Any one of those factors would have sent him into total meltdown before we both learnt a few coping skills.

Huge thanks to UK professional dog trainer and behaviourist Karen Wild who pointed me at the book and has helped and supported me a lot at a distance (I'm in France, she's in UK) at sorting out some of Ci's problems.
11 Comment| 69 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 14 March 2013
We bought this to read alongside working with a dog behaviour expert. It explains every thing in detail and good tips and advice. Would recommend.
on 20 May 2013
This book aims to help dog owners and trainers cope with fearful or reactive behaviour by allowing the dog to find an alternative, non-threatening behaviour that brings about the same result i.e. avoidance of the scary situation. By allowing the dogs to sense that they are communicating positively with their handlers and able to have some control over scenarios that spook them, the dog actually starts to lose its fear and gain in confidence.
I bought this book because I have a staffie cross rescue who suddenly started to react by unprovoked growling and lunging at any dog in our street, and sometimes just to sudden movement (people, cars etc). The problem seemed to stem from her experience of other dogs (on leads or in gardens) regularly barking at her. While she used to just give a little growl or whine back in response, she now growled first. Also she would not display this behaviour in front of our regular dog walker/trainer so he could not easily evaluate what she was up to.
After reading this book, I do several things differently. I use a soft harness instead of a neck collar. I walk different routes regularly to avoid always going past flashpoint areas, keeping a careful eye out for approaching dogs. I explain to other dog owners what I am doing. I haven't yet found a reliable replacement behaviour (my dog can go from calm to over threshold in about a nanosecond), but using the Let's Go! command, I am able to walk my dog away from other dogs, or past them in a wide parallel path. My dog is now much less reactive and more responsive to my directions and I have got some very positive comments from other dog owners. I hope to see even better results as I continue with using advice in this book.
The book is packed with lots of commonsense advice about how to deal with barking/aggression/fear in the home and outside. The emphasis is on safety for people and dogs and on very positive, kind training methods. There is a lot of detailed training instruction and a section for trainers delving deeper into behaviour study.
on 21 July 2013
Whether your dog is fearful of people other dogs, cars, or anything else you can use Grisha's BAT techniques to help "re-programme" their reaction.
on 29 July 2013
This is an excellent book if your dog shows behaviour that you would like to change. You would probably need some help from a trainer as well. It's very clear with lots of diagrams and pictures.
on 30 September 2012
This book is an absolute must have for anyone who has a reactive dog and all dog trainers should have the BAT method under their belt. Brilliantly written, very easy to understand and thoroughly enjoyable. Will be recommending left, right and centre!
on 10 April 2013
I had been meaning to purchase this book for ages, when Secret Santa sent me a gift for Christmas... As a dog-trainer with a local club, I train all sorts of people and their dogs on a weekly basis. BAT has already come into the way I train dogs which are uncertain joining our classes, the method works instantly as the dogs realise they are 'rewarded' by moving further away from what frightens them. This is a positive approach to a common problem. Well done, Grisha!
on 14 January 2013
I haven't finished reading it but so far it's a really informative book with practical advice on how to train a reactive dog. Kind and modern techniques.
on 14 October 2012
This book is must-read for anyone interested in dog behaviour! Great for dipping into for quick advice, but also an interesting read from start to finish. Based on positive reinforcement, the techniques shown in this book focus on understanding your dog's behaviour, and replacing the unwanted behaviours with more appropriate ones.
I have a generally friendly Chihuahua, but he occasionally finds larger dogs overwhelming. Slowly, with the help of the techniques details here, he is learning that he can just walk away instead of resorting to aggression.
I would recommend this to anyone with a reactive dog, or those just interested in understanding problem behaviours better.
on 2 February 2013
I am a dog training Instructor working towards my Kennel Club Accredited Insctructor award. I find this book invaluable and full of helpful information.