Format: Paperback|Change

on 18 May 2011
Having struggled with several books on programming for iOS I eventually came across Beginning iPhone 4 Development. I have a background in basic programming and am familiar with Objective-C (to a very low level) and found this book to have the perfect level of complexity. Many other books on the subject seem to start off incredibly simply and then halfway through suddenly become very complex. This is where Beginning iPhone Development is different. Sure, it starts off fairly simply, but then throughout the course of the book the complexity is gradually increased at a very logical and natural pace. Furthermore, when introducing topics, the authors avoid using the wizards and shortcuts instead choosing to teach you the ins and outs of iOS, which has greatly enhanced my understanding of the platform.

All in all, a great book. I'm about 3/4 of the way through after several days and feel pretty much ready to get start on some app ideas. If you are totally new to programming, then Programming Objective-C 2.0 by Kochan would be a good purchase along with this book. Apple's resources online, particularly their Introduction to Object Orientated Programming would also come in handy.

Highly recommend.
on 15 August 2011
I am a student software engineer who is interning in a software company for the summer. They gave us a 2 week intensive course to learn ios dev and gave us this book. This book has an odd way of presenting the platform to beginners, by that i mean scaring the hell out out of them. it shows complex ways of doing simple tasks in some places like in table views. I have it for 2 months now and I have not taken a peak at it since after the 2 week training. I found better ways to do things both myself and on the internet. I cannot say I would recommend it to anyone, but it is a reference guide if you are starting out, just not a good one in my view.
on 11 May 2011
I already have a copy of the original book based on iOS 3 and I was pleased to see the changes throughout the book, updating it to new features and screens etc to iOS 4. I was also happy to see the additional chapters on Threading & Multitasking (Grand Central Dispatch) and iPad development. IMHO still one of the best intro books around and from a great set of APress iOS books that is helping me to grown my bookshelf
on 10 July 2011
I'd been recommended this book as a great place to get into iOS development. Unfortunately it wasn't up to the task for me. While the code in the book is great and neatly laid out, there just isn't a lot of explanation on why it works the way it does or even what some of it does at all. Also to top it off the Kindle edition has many typographical errors where spaces are missing between words. The graphics used are also low quality considering they are being viewed digitally, something I'm sure that the paper book doesn't suffer from either. Whether it was done to save time because they only has low res originals to hand or if they wanted a smaller download size, it really wasn't worth the sacrifice in what at time is a visual book.

I also found myself re-reading paragraphs of the book over and over just to be able to follow them. The style of writing just doesn't suit for me so while I made it through a third of the book, I had to give up and move on to something else.
on 10 February 2011
I had a copy of the previous version of this book that i rent it out from the university and found this book very easy to understand compare any other iOS books.
on 31 July 2014
TLDNF
on 15 April 2011
Great technical books are few and far between. unfortunately with this one yet again I have spent my money on a book that goes from Hello World! to Say What! Can you repeat that in English, within just a few chapters. Its not the first and unfortunately wont be the last book, where you can get more from searching the internet for tutorials.