on 19 June 1999
I think this book is great, Although quite basic, it does give enough info to get your feet wet without drowning in a tidal wave of technical information. With some beautiful photos and written in the clear no non-sense manner that we've come to know of Patrick him self, I'd fully recommend it!
on 28 April 1999
The title itself gives away the content. Its not exactly highly detailed,more for pre-GCSE students.But if you're looking for a no-nonsense brief tour around our interstellar neighbours and distant relatives with some nice pics then this is the book for you.
on 31 August 2009
A good basic book that assumes no prior knowledge. Great pictures and interesting facts and history of astronomy - I'd recommend it to beginners.
on 13 April 2016
I bought this book as I have recently developed an interest in astronomy and I thought this would be perfect for developing my limited knowledge further. I was enticed by the fact that Patrick Moore wrote it as he is a critically acclaimed astronomer and I assumed this book would be great!
I was a little disappointed to see how small the book is, I mean its very big but quite flat and thin. I prefer more information than pictures and this book, however, is filled with big pictures that do not seem to serve too much purpose. I would not consider this book for children however more for young adults. It was informative however still fairly basic for an adult beginner. Pages 0-13 do not offer too much useful information and 4 pages are just the history of astronomy, In contrast however there is a lot of information on the galaxy, including planets and their moons and star constellations. Nothing you couldn't find on the internet. I was hoping for more of an experts insight however I have a feeling Patrick Moore just stamped his name on the cover and did not put too much time into writing it.

Worth a read and I would recommend for budding astronomers.

Please thumbs up! :)
on 19 October 2010
Written as only Patrick Moore can, it is inspirational as well as educational. Anyone taking up astronomy as a hobby should include this book in their collection.
on 6 April 2000
This really is a brilliant book for people who are just starting out in the amazing world of astronomy. It is straight foward and easy to understand, with loads of different topics covered, so there is something for every-one. This was my first astronomical book, and now I am totally adicted to the subject! Taking a GCSE Astronomy early next year.
on 15 February 2010
I decided to take up astronomy as a hobby but did not want to spend too much on literature initially in case it was not for me. The Patrick Moore 'Beginner's Guide to Astronomy' is definitely worth the read for beginners. It has surely encouraged me to progress my hobby. There was enough information about the book before I purchased it which helped. The book was in very good condition as described. I would recommend using Amazon when searching for books - new and used, and I would definitely use the seller again as despatch was swift as promised.
on 2 December 2013
Bought as a present for someone who was a little interested in the subject. Now they are hooked! He loved it!
on 14 April 2013
Bought as a gift for our son who is new to astronomy and he says it has been very useful to him
on 12 November 2014
his programmes started me off with this hobby - what a legend - and book simple for beginners