- Format: Kindle Edition
- File Size: 1110 KB
- Print Length: 384 pages
- Publisher: HQ Digital (26 May 2017)
- Sold by: Amazon Media EU S.à r.l.
- Language: English
- ASIN: B06Y1D4J3M
- Text-to-Speech: Enabled
- Word Wise: Enabled
- Average Customer Review: 27 customer reviews
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: #47,098 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store)
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
|This price was set by the publisher.|
Before You Were Mine Kindle Edition
Customers who bought this item also bought
Would you like to tell us about a lower price?
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Top customer reviews
When I first picked it up it took me a little while to get used to the main character, but I soon realised that this was entirely down to the fact that I have not lately branched out to read anything told from a slightly different perspective to my own – the main character, Eli, is a woman from a very different time and place, and way of thinking, to my own. But nevertheless, within only a few pages she had completely captured my heart, and I became as drawn into her story and involved with her emotions as if I were standing right beside her, or in fact experiencing everything from inside her own head. Eli is not your ‘usual’ heroine from a women’s novel. At the time the novel starts she is middle aged, living a day-to-day domestic routine with her husband Tommy in the town they both grew up in, and her life could be described from the outside as unremarkable. She does not immediately come across as the strong, feisty heroine that is popular in women’s fiction these days. But, as Eli’s story unfolded, I soon realised the immense strength she does in fact have just to move forward in her daily life, continue pouring all her energy and love into her marriage, and never give up hope about finding her daughter. This itself taught me a lesson about what we see as a ‘typical’ female hero, and the many different forms that human strength can take.
Em Muslin describes human emotion perfectly through her depiction of Eli and her husband Tommy. Eli’s searing, agonising loss of the daughter that was taken away from her shortly after birth, when Eli was only fourteen, is perfectly pitched. It is heartbreaking without being romanticised.Read more ›
A must read as it naturally entwines you within the complex life of many characters of which in turn you can't put the book down.
Can't wait for another book from this most talented Author.
Thank you for a wonderful reading experience.
I cannot imagine anyone not being deeply touched by this book, I absolutely loved it and can't wait to read more from this writer.
Most recent customer reviews
A stirring, emotional and heart-wrenching tale that stands shoulder to shoulder with some of Jodi Picoult and Diane Chamberlain’s best work, Em Muslin’s stunning debut novel,... Read morePublished 11 hours ago by Julie
99.9% of the time I don’t read blurbs – but for this book, I did. My interest in this storyline was piqued straight away. Why did Eli give her baby up for adoption? Read morePublished 1 day ago by Kaisha Holloway - The Writing Garnet
Any book with a focus on motherhood always effects me in some way, but I don't think I've read anything in quite awhile that has had such a profound effect on me and tugged at my... Read morePublished 1 day ago by Amy@Novelgossip
Eli Bell gets pregnant at 14. Refusing to name the father, she is shunned by her family and forced to give up her precious daughter, never to see her again. Read morePublished 1 day ago by johnstonedunn
Before You Were Mine takes us to Alabama where we meet Eli Bell. Now 46, her daughter was wrenched away from her shortly after birth 32 years earlier and Eli has longed for her... Read morePublished 2 days ago by Nicola in South Yorkshire
A superb debut novel, thoughtfully written, Em demonstrates an astute understanding of the bond between a mother and child that is never broken despite the many barriers and... Read morePublished 3 days ago by Amazon Customer
What a sensational debut that was a pleasure to read.
I can honestly say that it is a very long time since I have been so emotionally involved in a book. Read more
This is a slow burn emotional book that shows how we use all our senses when undergoing grief or trauma. Read morePublished 6 days ago by Ali - The Dragon Slayer
*I received a free copy of this novel in exchange for an honest review, as part of the author’s Books and the Bear blog tour. Read morePublished 1 month ago by Steph Warren
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Fiction > Literary Fiction
- Books > Romance > Contemporary
- Books > Romance > Romantic Suspense
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Contemporary Fiction > Literary
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Contemporary Fiction > Women's Fiction
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Genre Fiction > Family Life
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Literary Fiction > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Literary Fiction > Romance
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Women's Fiction > Contemporary Women
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Women's Fiction > Literary
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Women's Fiction > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Women's Fiction > Romance
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Romance > Contemporary