Customer reviews

Size: Gift|Change

I have to say that I was really dubious about the idea of a bee hotel. My neighbour had one, and she said that in the several years it had been in her garden, she'd never seen a bee in it. Undeterred, when we moved house, I decided to have a wildlife friendly garden, and bought one of these, a bird nest box, and a load of bird feeders.

The metal roof appealed to me as the old bird house had rotted, so I'm hopeful that a metal roof will weather the elements a bit better.

The loop which is attached for hanging purposes fits a cup hook nicely, so I drilled a hole in a fence post, screwed in a hook and hung it from that.

I'm going to agree with a few of the other reviewers who've said that the bamboo sticks are not overly well attached, but having read up on bee hotels, they do recommend that you change the bamboo periodically, so maybe they're loose to allow for that? I've not had any fall out, but it does seem like they've just been idly chucked into the frame.

I'm really pleased with it so far. Even more pleased to see the bees are using it too!
review image
on 25 April 2016
It's ok but does need some alterations imho. The canes are not sealed at the back (bees like a back wall), there's no overhang of the roof so rain is more likely to get into the tubes. It's also got a hook on it for hanging which in my experience, bees would rather have a non swinging house! After carrying out the above mods the bee house is in place but next time I'll perhaps make my own boxes again.
on 8 July 2017
This was received today. It's solidly built & the bamboo rods are secure with glue within the layering. After reading previous comments about it being south-facing, I decided to attached it to the fence panel & near the flowering plants. I had a small, thickish sheet of polystyrene so made a hole for the hanging wire & extended the roof so it's much more sheltered from rain. If inhabited it's not too near the plants I look after either. I'll update if it started to fill up. ūüĎć
on 4 November 2015
Absolutely useless as its so badly made. 3/4 of the bamboo is filled and not been hollowed properly and most is not glued so falling out. Cannot believe how bad it is. Didn't expect to be brilliant for the price but it won't be functional at all. Dont waste your time. Now I've got to return and need to access a printer and return to them.
VINE VOICEon 29 December 2014
I bought this in the early summer and hung it on a wall and waited for the bees - they took a while to find it, and I would say that siting this little house is probably the secret of success. However, quite a few bees were seen buzzing about and gradually the hollow bamboo rods were plugged by them so presumably they were happy with their new home. The tin roof is a good idea as it prevents the rods getting wet and it all looks quite nice and neat. I shall be interested to see whether the bees will return in 2015 and use it again.
on 29 March 2017
Looks nice. Hiwever, the item completely‚Äč fell apart 30 seconds after hanging up. The tacs used to keep it together were woefully inadequate. Very, very poor.
on 18 March 2016
Absolutely adorable! Arrived within 2 days of me ordering, I saw a couple of reviews regarding the quality, and the bamboo sticks being loose which mine reassuringly isn't. Quite pleasantly surprised at the quality as it was so cheap but it's really well made. I think maybe I might varnish it before putting it outside just to make it slightly more resiliant, but other than that it's lovely.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 29 December 2015
Well, it's probably more ornamental than conservational, but time will tell. Certainly got a couple of spiders in there already. Probably better off making a nice stack of small branches in a sheltered spot in the garden.
on 21 April 2015
Good lot of bamboo stems that can be accessed front and back. Main problem is they are not glued in so I had to use silicone sealant.
Otherwise easy to hang and looks good in the garden
on 2 July 2017
Poor design. Bees need the tubes to be closed at one end, they also will not enter the tubes if the edges of the entrance is rough.
This is poorly put together and not suitable for Bees at all.