on 5 November 2016
How to describe the entirety of this novel?

Often I will put one or two lines on Goodreads after finishing a book. For The Beautiful and Damned, the lines were as follows:

“What a beautiful and strangely desolate novel. My goodness.”

And The Beautiful and Damned is exactly that. It soars from theatrical beauty and then plummets to cold desolation, to unfolding of horrific emotion. The characters are at once vivid and on the verge of crumbling. The prose, as ever, is delicious, decadent and evocative.

The theatricality comes mainly in the form of Gloria, a shining beacon for the indulgence of the Jazz Age, who delights in the social freedom and seemingly exquisite nature of her life, and who enthrals Anthony Patch, a writer and the narrator of this tale of excess. Within the first few pages of their encounters, it occurred to me that both characters seemed to represent both Scott and Zelda. Once this idea had taken hold, I found it impossible to shake off, and by the time I closed the book on the final page, I was convinced that this was what The Beautiful and Damned was: Scott’s wishful thinking for their life and his bitterness and adoration for his wife poured into a single novel.

Which is heartbreaking, but it makes for a compelling and achingly wistful tale. Admittedly, it took me a good few pages to get into the story – I was waiting for Gloria to appear and ignite the fireworks – but when the lady arrived, I was gripped. I followed every encounter with wide eyes, and I admit that I had no idea how the novel would end, if it would be happy or not. When the end did indeed come, I found the climax very startling, very sudden. Some might argue that it was too sudden, that the novel feels cut off or rushed because of it, but I disagree. It left me shocked, but realising later on that it had been building up to it, with both characters hurtling towards trouble and not knowing how to stop. It was gripping, wonderful, and agonising all at once.

Anyone who knows me will tell you how much I adore Fitzgerald’s style, and The Beautiful and Damned only reinforced this love for his writing. It is a complex exploration of human character, and the heights it goes to are dizzying, as are the sudden falls.

I highly, highly recommend this. I cannot recommend it enough. The Great Gatsby might be considered his masterpiece, but I much prefer the characters in The Beautiful and Damned. They’ve stuck in my head much longer than Gatsby or Daisy Buchanan have.

And that really is saying something.
on 26 October 2016
Full of spelling mistakes, must be an early addition of the book as I am horrified at the amount of errors found within the book. Great book nonetheless but for the money paid, was highly disappointed with all the errors. I bought 2 copies at that.
on 2 February 2017
Great condition
on 19 August 2017
Great book in beautiful binding
on 9 March 2013
A heartbreak story of greed and frivolity. The lives of the beautiful and the damned are captured in agonizing detail. Money isn't everything.
on 19 February 2013
Everybody should read this book. Fitzgerald is a genius and this book is so beautifully written. You really ache for the characters and feel every emotion that is put into words. It has to be one of my all time favorites and is a must-read for everybody who loves beautiful writing and an unusual love story.
on 18 September 2013
I really didn't want to like the main characters in this book, but was compelled to follow them to the end. By avoiding the traditional 'comeuppance' for unpleasant shallow people, FS Fitzgerald enhances the opulent, vacant lives they end up surviving.
on 13 November 2015
beauty in a book beauty to look at.
on 14 March 2017
not what was advertised
on 2 May 2014
I love his writing, the detail, the slight disgust for women and anything that doesnt fit his ideal. I especially love the period details of live on a shoestring wing and pray before he gets the money. I definitely think I was born in the wrong era, because I love the shoes in the 20's and 30's - period.