on 29 April 2017
This was a struggle for me to get through. Normally it takes me a while to get into a book, and I kept waiting for this to happen and it never did. I am usually a fan of this genre.
The pacing is extremely slow and the story isn't very interesting overall nor are the characters likeable. I found the civil war aspect to be extremely tedious and boring, quite frankly there was too much about the civil war for a YA novel.
I have no desire whatsoever to read the remaining books of the series.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 25 August 2011
This is much better written in technical terms than many teen supernatural romances out there but it somehow lacks the passion and pure story-telling grip of the best of them (Twilight,Vampire Academy,Hush, Hush).

The authors take the time to build up the background of Gatlin, a little Southern town that bears more than a passing resemblance to that in the Sookie Stackhouse books (e.g. Dead Until Dark), and there are some nice gothic touches: the Ravenswood house, the presence of the Civil War.

On the negative side, however, too much of the story is based on overly-familiar elements: the new girl in school, the mean-girls pack, the instant love-bond, the deep and deadly secret, the final climactic struggle between good and evil...

While the idea of telling the story from a male viewpoint is refreshing, I never felt that Ethan sounded like a sixteen year old boy. This becomes especially problematic in that the authors have clearly decided that this needs to be a sexually-moral book so there's no sexual tension - between a couple of older teens who are supposedly bonded in love?

The end is also a complete anti-climax as the baddies simply disappear for no good reason - other than for the authors to be able to continue the story.

So this is a good enough read with parts that I really enjoyed - but I'm afraid it hasn't hooked me into reading the sequels.
on 8 July 2015
Good book it's amazing that Ethan Wate & Lena Duchannes come together and despite their families and friends trying to stop them. a great book took me a while to get into but it gets better. i have seen the movie and some of it doesn't appear in the book but i guess you can't put everything from a book into a film. Great reading can't wait for the story to continue
on 20 March 2016
A must read if you love these type of story lines.
Very capitvating.
Now to read the second book
on 23 March 2013
I've read all the series and it just gets better as it goes along. Lena and Ethan are the main characters but there are great supporting characters. Link is my favourite, he is funny and loyal and in love with Riddly even though they mostly fight.
on 8 October 2013
One of my favourite caster series.

A great journey about self discovery and confusing love.

Recommended to all fantasy and romance lovers.
on 18 July 2013
Great storyline, different from the normal young adult type books. Couldn't wait to find out how things ended. Some parts were a little slow, but most was a page turner!
on 15 January 2013
I loved it, there are no words.I read the last 100 pages to Biffy Clyro's "The Rain" it just added to the phenomenon which is this book and hopefully the sequel. Ahhh! On to the next one!
on 13 July 2013
A great read, well thought out and keeps you engrossed. I don't usually read this type of book but I'm glad I gave it a go.
on 3 January 2013
Absolutely brilliant,I was gripped right from page 1,just couldn't put it down,looking forward to get as doing the other books!