The Beatles in Hamburg (Reverb) Paperback – 3 Apr 2012
|New from||Used from|
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Enter your mobile number below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
'Inglis is at his best when summarizing the environmental forces and personal relationships that fostered the intense level of artistic growth the group achieved during their time in that city. In his chapter on the Beatles' musical influences, he adeptly summarizes, in a short space, the unusual variety of musical currents that entered into their repertoire, including rhythm and blues, rockabilly, doo-wop, and Brill Building pop.' - The Weekly Standard
About the Author
Ian Inglis is Visiting Fellow in the School of Arts and Social Sciences at the University of Northumbria, Newcastle upon Tyne.
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
This book examines both Hamburg and the band at the times they visited, including their first visit in which they started as a band that had played infrequently around Liverpool to audiences of teenagers and friends, to a band exhorted to "Mach Shau!" to an audience consisting of gangsters, prostitutes, pimps and off shore sailors. It was on stage here that they learnt stagecraft, where they first properly met Ringo Starr (although they had come across each other, they first shared a stage in Hamburg when Rory Storm and the Hurricanes played with them at the Kaiserkeller) and where they spent a lot of time simply getting to know each other away from home. Although the first trip ended in deportation for McCartney, Harrison and Best, it was when they played again in Liverpool that the difference was plain to see.Read more ›
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Biography > Film, Television & Music > Music > Rock & Pop
- Books > Biography > Historical > Countries & Regions > Germany
- Books > Music, Stage & Screen > Music > Composers & Musicians > Rock & Other Styles > Beatles
- Books > Music, Stage & Screen > Music > Scores, Songbooks & Lyrics > Rock & Pop
- Books > Music, Stage & Screen > Music > Styles > Rock & Pop > Styles