on 1 January 2012
Set not far in the future mankind has a proper lunar colony and its first small base on Mars. Then the aliens come, they attack without warning, showing no mercy and taking no prisoners, there sole aim seems to be to claim earth as there own and exterminate mankind.

The story follows a US officer, a British officer and the resistance forces on the moon. The alien weapons technology is ahead of ours as is there body armour, which covers there full body, while overall a fairly one sided fight, they are not that advanced as to make them impossible to destroy. Lots of good hard hitting action and battle scenes, as mankind looses battle after battle.

Overall a great book, I cannot wait to read the next one.
on 17 April 2014
Not sure what book the people who gave this 5 stars were reading. It was not well written; there was no character development, the action was predictable, linear and just...off.
I ended up wishing the main characters would all be killed off in the vain hope that newer more interesting ones would be introduced. The battles were like reading a 12 year olds school report on a WW2 battle; an enemy with such a technological advantage would not do the equivalent of a D-day beach landing, sending troops and equipment straight into the teeth of prepared defences. There was no talk of air superiority and earth forces seemed to be able to move troops and resources around at will. The enemy seemed to want the planet intact and so avoids an orbital bombardment, however they don't seem to mind using destructive ground attack methods that blow the snot out of everything. The human characters are all walking cliches and have just 2 ways of talking; normally or, if they are excited, angry, frightened or an arse, they shout. The sequels to this book probably can't be any worse but I won't be finding out. If you are looking for a good military sci-fi I would avoid this an look to Harry Turtledove, Christopher Nuttall or Michael R Hicks who all do this genre better.
on 9 March 2016
Got this as a freebie about two years ago and for some reason have only just got around to reading it !!!! I must admit this was a lot better than I thought it would be and looked forward to reading the next one, however just looking on the authors page it seems he has written many sequels and I certainly did'nt enjoy it that much to pay out nearly £40 to collect the series.
on 4 February 2014
A very enjoyable sci-fi romp with military themes this was all-action, tense and gripping with a diverse cast of characters. The events are detailed and realistic with a no-nonsense writing style that focuses on the action we are reading for. As the nature and scale of the invasion becomes apparent the tension builds and the bureaucracy and incredulity is all too believable. I look forward to more from Mr Thomas and would recommend the book.
on 5 April 2012
I downloaded this to my kindle after it was recommended to me by Amazon. It's a very fast paced read and an entertaining story.

I'm not sure if the book is self published or not, however I believe the author could benefit from a good editor. Sometimes when you are writing - no matter how good a storyteller you are- you can't see the wood from the trees and so it is not meant as an attack on the author when I say that some things - such as minor repetition and the occasionally poorly structured paragraph - detracted from my overall enjoyment of the novel. With someone to point out the odd plot-hole/jump, as well as the afore mentioned writing criticisms, this story would, for me, be improved significantly.

I felt that the characters were like-able but could do with some fleshing out. The author's distaste for bureaucracy was apparent and I felt that the labelling of certain character types - for example, politicians - with less-than-endearing terms such as 'snivelling' or 'cowardly' when, at least in terms of the story, they were yet to do much wrong, jarred as unfair. The author would have, in my opinion, been better served by letting the reader form opinions on characters on their own. I also felt that the military dialogue was a little unrealistic, however having never myself been in the military I am only basing that on other books I have read.

On the whole, despite the above criticism, I really did enjoy this story and I am pleased to see there are more books in the series. Hopefully in future books I will learn more about the characters' backgrounds and motivations, as well as their fates.
on 25 March 2018
Addictive storyline, I didn't like the fake English accents in the extra audiobook available as an extra with the Kindle book
on 11 July 2012
I had a great time reading this book,I was fifteen yrs old when I discovered Sci-fi and never looked back. I now have a Kindle and have 6 of Nick S Thomas books in my collection,I also have the other two books in the trilogy. I highly reccomend it.
3 people found this helpful
on 23 April 2012
Chewed my way through the trilogy of books in a trilogy of days while on holiday! Well written action sequences. Great stereotypes throughout the book! The self centred egotistical generals, the unstoppable indestructible hero and an vicious enemy that at first seems unstoppable and insurmountable but progressively show their weaknesses. Would make a great TV series! Character development and relationships in the book are minimal just enough so you know what makes each character tick and allow the story to carry on at a bristling pace. Definitely a fun read well written. I will almost certainly go back for another read through in the not to distant future!
2 people found this helpful
on 7 May 2014
I don't know which came first the tv series or the book that copied each other, but that in no way spoiled this book for me. The action was fast & kept coming causing me to read this book very quickly.
on 8 June 2014
I really enjoyed this book a great story and well thought out characters. I know the invasion of earth has been done a few times before, but this book in my opinion was written well.