on 5 December 2017
I am not a Philosopher, and truly the only way anyone will get me to read a Philosophy book is to put Batman/Star War in the title or on the cover and making either the subject matter. The book is very informative on philosophical theories, (I will be the first to admit would have been lost on me), and well researched in the world of Batman.

The thing that attracted me to this book was, discussion style format. All of us who are comic book fans love to discuss out favorite stories, characters (their directions, development and decisions), and who would win in a fight between them. I admit my reason for being able to quote Aristotle at my next comic book argument, or point out that well learned and scholars in their field are also comic book/Batman fans.

The book is not a light read and I actually got more then I was expecting for it, on a Goodreads note I was glad to have my 100 book as heavier read. One of the issues that is brought up is Batman being a fictional character, should he be revered, or looked at as an example? Questions like should he kill the Joker fit in with arguments to an for capital punishments in the real world. Also you cannot have a debate about batman without the shadow of death, and the continuing debate of death itself credit to the author and contributors for giving both sides of every argument.

The only reason I did not give this book 5 stars is there are a couple of sections in the middle that were for hardcore linguists or philosophers which I felt went slightly off topic and were over analyzed for my tastes. This could be a personal prejudice on my part as I hate linguistics, but that is me. However this is a great book that use the fiction characters to highlight issues and theories that are in the real world. I personally though the second last chapter using the relationship of Batman and Nightwing to reconcile the debate of Aristotle and Immanuel Kant, was inspired and definitely holds true in the real world.
on 18 January 2011
It's hard to contain the emotion I have this book, I love philosophy and The Batman, putting the two together in a book, another passion of mine, reading, what a fantastic proposition!

The basic premise is to take the philosophical ideas from Plato to modern day and apply it the the whole Batman genre and it works a dream. Why does Batman not go ahead and kill the Joker, even though in his infancy the Batman had no qualms about going that extra step in smiting Gotham's criminal underbelly. Could Batman and Joker be one and the same? Who is in control, Batman or Bruce?

This is a book I have read many times now, it doesn't get boring, I keep my concentration and it makes me question the values we hold dear in life every time I read this wonderful piece of writing.

Both the philosophy and the Batman genre are well researched and the cherry on top, which you must promise to actually read, is why Batman is better than Superman. Now I know 'better' is a subjective term, just read the book, all will be explained and since mainly Batman fans, not Superman fans will read this anyway, I am preaching to the choir.

A must have addition to any Bat fans shelves, no prior knowledge of philosophy required and written in great style, not boring academic philosophy style.
on 29 September 2010
I received this along with 'House and Philosophy' and found myself reading them both side-by-side.
Comparing the two, House was slightly better, but since they were both outstanding pieces of work, I can honestly say you should buy them both.

This one gives you fascinating insights to questions like "Why doesn't Batman just kill the Joker", and reasons out why this should or shouldn't be.

I loved it. Buy it now! :)
on 30 October 2009
Not bad: enjoyable to read and quite useful for beguiling Batman fans into reading Philosophy.

However, seems a rewrite of other " and Philosophy" works.

Bottom line: it's good, but not worth owning if you have a similar "Philosophy and...<something you would never really connect with Philosophy>" book.
on 18 May 2014
I really enjoyed reading this book on the train, I truly believe if more subjects were taught in this manner education would be the better for it.

This book covers a lot and offers some interesting incite into the relationship between the batman and the joker which is worth the read by itself.

If you are a batman fan give it a go, it is really interesting.
on 7 March 2013
This book is a good book for people who finds a lot of philosophy book bland. It makes philosophy terms and ideas easy to understand and more interesting. So for people who wants to learn the basic of philosophy and loves Batman or pop culture, I reccomend this book
on 22 August 2012
This is amazing! So in depth, it encouraged me to get more in the 'and philosophy' series, although currently waiting for 'Heroes', the '24' one was OK, this is the best so far. Good job.
on 8 February 2012
Good book most of the articals are great
of course this is collection of different philosphy proffessors work using batman to high light there material
whilst most do a fine job and seem to know there stuff
One or two only tangently refer to the subject or stick in a reference at the begin and the end of the artical to keep the editors happy.one, the could batman be the joker chapter is the literary equivalent of a massive stroke. I didnt have a clue what he was going on about or why it was even included in the book and in the end didnt care to take the time to understand the artical it was so bad and confusing.
Aside from the clunkers this is a very good
i even have the watchmen version
the book contains concepts i found incredilbly hard to comprehend (as a biologist)by training)its not as friendly to the
lay person it likes to belive
It is however fascinating if you persevere.
on 1 September 2010
Only half way through but I like the subject matter and how they mix it in with the Batman universe (having liked Batman since little). Definatley makes philosophy more fun which is what I think the series sets out to do. Want to read the House and Battlestar Galactica versions next.