TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 26 November 2016
Not too much to say here, this is a great story arc, the Joker returns after cutting off his own face, with it pinned into place in horrific fashion. He then, much to everyone surprise goes after Batman. This time trying to use his family (Nightwing, Batgirl etc) against him.

This is Joker back to his evil, sick best. It's a great story that's well worth a read.

As for the mask, its just as horrible as it should be, and surprisingly good quality.

I was a just like a happy little 5 year old when I opened this up. I'm more than pleased with it.
3 people found this helpful
on 28 April 2018
I read so many 5 star reviews here, that I had incredibly high expectations, which it didn't live up to do I was left feeling disappointed.

I was delighted to see Dick Grayson as Batman, but the Black Mirror storyline was over too quick and the rest of the book was Jim Gordon's story.

Recommended for a good story but not for interest into Duck Grayson's character.
on 27 October 2014
This book is one of the most influential ones in the recent shape of the universe inhabited by Bruce Wayne. It contains two stories, both of which are capable of chilling the reader to the bone. I am really not sure as to whether the original Batman would have handled the unique scenarios here in the same fashion (as a matter of fact, I am not sure that he could have handled them, with all his personal issues) as Dick Gryason goes about them, but Scott Snuder has, in this book, given us some really dark things to ponder on. Most importantly, he has provided us with a villain that can truly hold a lamp to Joker, with all his sadism & darkness. Highly Recommended.
on 3 December 2014
Yes yes yes yes yes.
I hadn't read any DOTF, knew they'd eventually release something like this for it. The mask is genuinely quite scary.
The story, well you don't hate Batman and then look at buying something like this.

The art is perfect. The detail on Joker and his grimy teeth, the flies, the hair. The way he expresses himself and the history these guys build-on between himself and Bats is incredible. I genuinely found myself holding my breath, shivers up my spine during some of the most spectacular moments in comic book history.
One person found this helpful
on 7 November 2016
The mask is really good quality and truly, truly terrifying.
The comic is outstanding one of the best ever joker stories, however the combined Joker: Death of the Family collection is more comprehensive.
review image
One person found this helpful
on 5 April 2013
One of the Best Batman books I've read. Very Happy with it. If you liked Year One (and who doesn't ?) It's great. The Story of Dick Grayson as Batman investigating various crimes while meeting various occasions Commissioner Gordon as both Dick and Batman personas.This was the first I have read that revisits that Batman Gordon Year one approach of story. Gordon's part of the story was the darkest and most intriguing as me meets up with someone troubled that he has lost touch. The book features two different artists and goes between Batmans chapter to Gordon as the story's run parallel. This book was amazing. Good time guaranteed.

Check out my Blog http://supercomicsmovieblog.blogspot.ie/
on 11 January 2014
Contained within is a truly horrendous image of Gotham city, I had originally worried how the dark knight would fair with Dick Grayson in the lead role but my fears were unfounded. This has to be the darkest comic that I have ever read, the artwork of the first half of the comic is amazing and contains what I consider to be the best ever image of the joker (made of bats) bit the true horror comes in the last half with the appearance of James Gordon Jr - the scariest villain to date, scary because he could exist!
on 16 August 2013
For every batman fan who's reading this, when you're writing a review don't tell everyone what happens in every part of the story. It's annoying. It's okay if it's half way through and you write "*SPOILERS*" other wise, just don't. Ruins it.

First of all, I'm starting a batman collection and I didn't want to read any batman book with Robin in it or anything like that because I didn't like the idea of robin. Then I bought this thinking it was Bruce Wayne. Completely changed my mind. Now I want to get all the graphic novels with Dick, Jason, Tim, Barbara, red hood, night wing, and Damien. It would be impossible not to anyway, but this was just so brilliant. It shows how empty Dick seems, yet seems like there's a lot to him.

I'm never bothered by art work unless it's just plain bad, but this seemed amazing. Something about the art work goes really well with the story line which you can tell has been chosen for reason as it flicks to a different story, the artwork flicks with it.

When I first read it, I read a few pages and then forgot about it. Picked it up again a while later and oh my. I really got into it after those few pages. At first it seemed uninteresting with dim art work and then bam. Suddenly the art and story link and the story builds up.

If there's going to be a bunch of comic books you want to start with, I'd say this is a bullet point book.
on 30 July 2013
I have a few graphic novels within the last 2 years which maybe strange for a man of 38

but who cares, i have been enjoying the reads and some good stories have appeared.

i bought this and read around the pool on holiday and have to say i have found this an immensely good read

a good story told in a good way and not a childish comic story

this is probably one of my top 3 now and i have all the top batman classics
on 21 April 2016
Mask and comic were very good, the mask and comic did however have some minor flaws for example: the nose was crushed against the front making it very hard to straighten out and the comic had the odd bit of hard to read text (sun bleached as far as I can tell), also the mask was made in June 2014...
The mask also scares the crap out of my family and dog so I'm pleased and the comic is very well written but that is to be expected with Scott Snyder.

Overall I am very pleased with the set and it has made a good addition to my collection, except from the mentioned issues but I would recommend to any Bat-fan