Shop now Shop now</arg> Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Amazon Music Unlimited for Family Shop now Shop now

Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£7.99

on 10 April 2002
I'm only 16, but I've been raised on classic rock n roll. And Meatloaf has got to be amongst the best. Bat Out Of Hell is not only my favourite Meatloaf album, but my favourite album of all time. Bat Out Of Hell itself is an explosion of heavy guitarism and an awsome opening track, and the rest don't fail to disappoint. Big hits You Took The Words Right Out Of My Mouth & Two Out Of Three Ain't Bad are also on the album, and this is rock n roll at it's best. If this doesn't get you turning up the volume, nothing will.
on 5 December 2005
This is an amazing album which is ideal for anyone who likes their music with a dash of theatre.
Every track is meticulously put together although I believe the album sounds better if track 1(Bat out of Hell) is placed after track 7. This is because to me that song is like the peak of the album and incorporates everything which has gone before.
Also listen to it from start to finish a few times through headphones.
Don’t worry if your friends ridicule you as this is an album worth listening to at any age( It also covers every emotion so is ideal for any moody teenagers).
Enjoy
R
on 17 February 2005
Meat Loaf's debut album released way back in 1978, This album contains most of meat loaf's most famous songs such as the title track Bat Out Of Hell, Two Out Of Three Ain't Bad and the live favourite Paradise By The Dashboard Light.
There are so many live versions of these songs around today which can make the sound quality of this album now sound dull.
But this album is one of the best albums ever made and nothing will beat this album in my opinon. BUY IT
Written by Jim Steinman one of the most talented song writers on this planet.
on 31 March 2006
There seems to be a lot of people complaining about the lack of multichannel on this SACD. That is because it is a STEREO SACD, and does NOT have a centre channel even, despite what another review claims.
Stereo SACD's sound FAR superior to standard CD's.
If you are looking for the multichannel version, then head over to Amazon.de - the last time I looked they had some in stock. It's where I ordered mine from.
I did see a multichannel in MVC in the UK when they were still in business, however that was a one off. The Multichannel version is notoriously hard to find in this country.
I own both the stereo, and multichannel versions, as well as an audiophile grade half speed mastered vinyl, and I can safely say that the vinyl kicks them both into last week on a decent system, but for truly enveloping sound, the SACD-Multi is pretty damn spectacular. The stereo one is intended, like the vinyl, much more for purists.
I tend to listen to the multi more than my vinyl, purely because of the added durability an optical format offers.
Ollie
on 22 December 2003
What can you say about Bat Out of Hell? It remains one of the greatest rock albums of all time, and may be responsible for more speeding tickets than any other album. It is worth making two points about the SACD, though. Firstly, it is not a hybrid disc and will not work in a normal CD player; buy the latest CD version with Dead Ringer for Love on it for the car. Secondly, there are two SACD versions around. One only has a stereo mix on it; the sound quality is phenomenal, but it is NOT multichannel as may be suggested by other reviews. I returned this one. I found another SACD version today, which has both the stereo and a new multichannel mix on it, which is probably what you are after if you are a SACD buff.

Edited 13/4/2007: Having changed systems and listened to a few of the other big SACD releases a lot more (Tommy, Dark Side, Toto IV, The Police compilation) I am afraid to say that I think this now lags behind the other big SACD releases in terms of quality. If I was getting it again today i'd give it 3 stars, whereas the other albums mentioned are still 5 star jobs IMHO.
on 4 November 2007
I'll ask you a question. Why do people laugh when you say Meatloaf is your favourite performer? The music is great and listened to by as many people today as in the 70's. The song lyrics are perfect. The musicianship is top notch and Meat himself outshines almost any other performer I have seen or listened to. He acts as he sings as he feels and seems to me to be living each and every song as though that is all that ever mattered at that particular moment.
For me he has a voice that would grace any opera and performs the very best in driving music. Bat out of Hell itself is Meatloaf to the very core. I was about 8 when I first heard it and played the tape til' it melted. And it still sounded better than Brotherhood of Man. The words were telling me to explain things in descriptive detail and that emotions were to be worn on the sleeves of your black leather jacket. This album was where my own imagination was forged and where my relationship with non-rockers was destroyed.
I took the imagination to school where teachers were telling all the kids to use theirs in their writing and screaming at them when they day dreamed whilst looking out of the window - That's using imagination teachers. But because of Bat out of Hell I knew what my emotions were and and that one day I would tear past those pencil necks on a silver-black phantom bike and salute them all the way down the road.
If your kids are old enough to sing then throw out Bob the Builder music and buy them Bat out of Hell. Then stand back as their brains begin to dance.

Will Joseph.
on 23 May 2003
The producers/engineers have done an absolutely fantastic job on this album. If you've never experienced SACD, then this one little silver disc will blow your mind!
Beware of what type of SACD you buy though - if you've got a decent surround sound set-up then ensure you only buy "MULTI CHANNEL" (Multi-ch) SACDs. Ordinary SACDs (such as Michael Jackson's "Thriller") will pump out music to the front speakers only. The quality of the music is a bit better (deeper bass, clearer treble etc) but that's about it.
Multi Channel SACD is a whole different ball game. "Bat Out of Hell" is multi channel and the resulting playback is awesome. This is a classic album superbly re-mastered for todays technology.
Sit back, turn the sound up, close your eyes, and prepare for an amazing experience.
Listen out for the motorcyle guitar solo in the title track.
on 30 May 2008
"Bat out of Hell" is the 1977 classic album from Meat Loaf which features songs by Jim Steinman. The release I am reviewing is remastered, includes three extra tracks (though admittedly one is just an introduction), and includes a DVD with 12 Videos. The original album was produced by Todd Rundgren. The band assembled for this album is an interesting group. Included are Max Weinberg and Roy Bittan from the E Street Band, Edgar Winter, and Ellen Foley, and Todd Rundgren also played and had three additional members of Utopia play on it as well: Kasim Sultan, Roger Powell, and Willie Wilcox. The album developed from a musical which has been described as a sci-fi version of Peter Pan, and parts of it have been compared to Bruce Springsteen's "Born to Run" album, but it really doesn't have the same kind of sound to my ear.

The original album is just seven tracks long, opening with the title track which sets the tone for the whole album. It, along with two other tracks are what is left from the musical which was titled "Neverland". Like most of the songs here it is about teen love, or perhaps I should say lust, as love is really not a factor in most of these songs. The second track is "You Took the Words Right Out Of My Mouth" and was first single from the album, as with the first track it is about lust and the confusion between lust and love in young people. That is followed by "Heaven Can Wait" which is the second of the three songs from the musical, and the lyrics are a bit more positive, though one still gets that feeling of teen angst. "All Revved Up with No Place to Go" is the last of the three tracks from the musical, and the title pretty much speaks for itself as it follows in the same mode as those which came before.

The second half of the album opens with "Two out of Three Ain't Bad" in which the singer wants and needs the person they are singing to, but they don't love them. A bit more mature in content than the teen songs in the first half, here lust is not confused for love. "Paradise by the Dashboard Light" follows up with the story of a relationship built on young lust which turns into a miserable life for both the boy and girl. The original album then closes with "For Crying Out Loud". The three bonus tracks include "Great Boleros of Fire" and "Bat out of Hell" live versions, in which the first is an instrumental intro to the second. The third track is "Dead Ringer for Love" which appeared on the 1981 album of the same name and for which Cher provides the lead female vocals.

The DVD includes several songs from the album as well as additional material. Like the album, it opens with "Bat Out of Hell", which is followed by "Read `em and Weep" from the "Dead Ringer" album. Next up is "Two out of Three Ain't Bad" and that is followed by Razor's Edge from the "Midnight At The Lost and Found" album. Up next are "More Than You Deserve" and "I'm Gonna Love Her for Both of Us" from the "Dead Ringer" album. Next is "If You Really Want To" from the "Midnight At The Lost and Found" album, and then come "You Took The Words Right Out of My Mouth", "Paradise by the Dashboard Light", and "Dead Ringer for Love".

The DVD also includes a biography and discography (both written) and the music can be played in surround sound or stereo. The videos are fun, but the core album is the best part of this package. I have to give this collection 5 stars, as the original album rates very highly and the additional material in this collection adds to the overall value. Price is a consideration though, so look for one which isn't too expensive.
66 comments| 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 May 2003
Is it cool to say your all time favourite album was introduced to you by your Mother? 1977 this came out when I was 7 and I still listen to it today. All revved up with no place to go... was the first song I ever picked up the air guitar to. This album is nothing short of a legend in the rock/metal business (in my opinion) and still sounds superb along side all modern offerings.
on 16 September 2006
I got introduced to Bat Out of Hell whilst at University in the early '80s (well actually thats not true, my friend brought the neon single down for me whilst at school and i never realised it was so great (never realised until it was too late that he was great too!!!!))

There isnt a dud song on this album. And i think it strikes so many chords for so many people. Paradise by the dashboard light - well you cant argue with that at all. If only id listened and understood that this was so insightful a message id have saved myself a lot of angst.

But seriously it is fantastic. 24 years after my first purchase ive just bought it again. And it doesnt hiss as much on CD at high volume but it hits the buttons that id forgotten id got!

I went to see Meatloaf in the midlands in 1985. I could afford to go then, cant afford to see him this October but Mr Meatloaf "for crying out loud i (still) love you!!"