on 3 February 2012
A great book for anyone wanting to brush up on or indeed learn maths at this level from scratch. Clear and well presented Worked problems and progressive practice problems to test how well you understand the worked material, and of course a few tricky ones just to get the gray matter working.Even the use of engineering terminology and symbols helps immensely as opposed to the "apples" and "oranges" we worked with in school. My only complaint is the difficulty with the link to the website. Material contained therein seems to be only available to those in the teaching profession. I understand that if it were freely available students using this book could "cheat" on exams maybe. I am neither student nor teacher but unfortunately I am still unable to avail of the extra material contained on the website
on 1 February 2014
Downloaded the kindle edition. Very good coverage on the subject. I think the paper version would be better for me for making notes on etc.. for my uni engineering course, however it's also great to travel light with all my books on one device..
on 14 January 2015
I've had this book for approx 1.5 years now and it has been very useful for my BTEC level 3 electrical engineering course.

However there are several typos and mistakes which are VERY annoying when it turns out you've spent 20 minuets constructing a graph and a table and you check the answers and the x and y values were the wrong way around in the question itself!

Also the majority of the explanations and walk throughs are brief at best, which is frustrating, but if you are working through this book along side any college tuition (like i am) it's very satisfying to relate knowledge from the class room to the examples in the book.

The companion website is also very useful with working out for every practice question.

If you're looking to have your hand held through every problem then this isn't for you, but if you like to be challenged when learning then this book is very good, simple and nicely laid out.
on 26 October 2014
If you are an engineering student and want some relevant math problems with solutions to help you through your semester, this is THE book that you have been looking for! I was looking for a book with deeply detailed problems with solutions as the textbooks used at my college was too short of such. I found this book to be EXACTLY what I was looking for. And I bought the next in the series also and that is even BETTER because had the exact information I was looking for. I must sat that John Birds books are quite phenominal, I have bught his electrical circuit theory and technology as well and man, I wish I had these books when I studied. Unfortunately, I didn't buy them until after I finished my study...
on 12 January 2013
I cant believe the reviews of this book have been so positive. It is absolutely riddled with mistakes!

Around 15-20% of the answers in the answer key are incorrect! I sat there for hours trying to work out what i was doing wrong only for my maths tutor to come along and say I was correct and the book is wrong!!

On top of this, the explanations on each topic are very brief and I often found my self going elsewhere online to learn the subject properly. I would honestly say this book has impeded my progress in learning maths and it shall be going straight in the bin!!
on 19 February 2011
I've just purchased the basic engineering mathematics along with John Bird's Engineering Mathematic. These two books are good choice for engineering students. I highly recommend these two books for level 1, 2 and 3 students.
on 24 January 2013
I bought this book some months ago after much research and was very disappointed, because, as another reviewer has stated, the explanations are too brief and many of the answers are wrong. I was hoping to use it to brush up on my maths before starting a Level 3 BTEC engineering course, but I find it does little to improve either my understanding or my confidence. Having been in class since september, my lecturer has done way more for me than this book could possibly hope to!! (I picked it up again today to review some algebra, but had to leave it as it was confusing me.) I really cannot reccommend this book to anyone who wishes to study maths on their own or as an addendum to study, don't waste your money!
on 30 December 2012
I use this book to revise for tests I sit for a FOUNDATION YEAR of an engineering degree. A couple of subjects i require aren't covered or else are maybe a little patchy however on the whole it has been a great help hence 4 stars. (It has since been reccomended by lecturers alongside other Bird books).
on 4 August 2013
This book is better as revision material rather than learning something from scratch. It could be better if it tried to hit less targets (calculus is not basic maths), and so covered a narrower range of subjects in more depth. You may be better buying a book targeting your specific weak areas.

There are typos in it and when I used any material for teaching I had to go through each example to ensure I got the same answer. (No one seems to do the maths equivalent of a spell checker......).
on 15 January 2013
The format of the book is great, you are always provided with a large number of worked examples and then more practice questions for each new topic.