- Also check our best rated Biography reviews
Based on a True Story: Not a Memoir Paperback – 13 Jun 2017
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
"A driving, wild and hilarious ramble of a book, what might have happened had Hunter S. Thompson embedded himself in a network studio."--The Washington Post"Dostoyevsky by way of 30 Rockefeller Center . . . the best new book I've read this year or last."--The Wall Street Journal "This book is absurd fiction. . . . Scathing and funny."--The New York Times "Hilarious and filled with turns of phrase and hidden beauty like only a collection of Norm Macdonald stories could be."--Esquire "Raucous . . . a hilarious, innovative work."--A.V. Club
"Part personal history and part meta riff on celebrity memoirs, the book, it quickly becomes clear, is also just partly true (and all hilarious)."--Vulture "My three favorite books:
1. The Bible, by Moses and other guys
2. The Art of the Deal, by President of the United States of America, Donald J. Trump (a.k.a. President Trumpy)
3. Based on a True Story, by Norm Macdonald I have not read the first two. I have read Based on a True Story, and I believe it to be largely bullshit, but it is very, very, very funny! Thanks, Norm, for letting me be part of this Booker Prize-for-literature-quality effort."--David Letterman "Norm is brilliant and thoughtful and there is sensitivity and creative insight in his observations and stories. A lot of comics over the years have been compared to Mark Twain, but I think Norm is the only one who actually matches the guy in terms of his voice and ability. I seriously f**king love Norm Macdonald. Please buy his book. He probably needs the cash. He's really bad with money."--Louis C.K., from the foreword "Norm is one of my all-time favorites, and this book was such a great read I forgot how lonely I was for a while."--Amy Schumer "I always thought Normie's stand-up was the funniest thing there was. But this book gives it a run for its money."--Adam Sandler "Norm is one of the greatest stand-up comics who's ever worked--a totally original voice. His sense of the ridiculous and his use of juxtaposition in his writing make him a comic's comic. We all love Norm."--Roseanne Barr "Norm Macdonald makes me laugh my ass off. Who is funnier than Norm Macdonald? Nobody."--Judd Apatow "Norm Macdonald is more than a triple threat--he's a septuple threat. He is smart, funny, wry, rakish, polite, rakish . . . no, wait. He is polite, insightful, and . . . aaaaah . . . warm. No. He's exciting. Yeah. Exciting! You never know what he'll do. Okay, then make that unpredictable. Add that up. He's amazing."--Alec Baldwin "Norm only has to grunt to make me laugh. And this book is three hundred pages? Sign me up."--Sophia Amoruso, author of #GIRLBOSS "Norm is a double threat. His material and timing are both top-notch, which is unheard of. He is one of my favorites, both on- and off-stage."--Dave Attell "David Letterman said it best: There is no one funnier than Norm Macdonald."--Rob Schneider
About the Author
Norm Macdonald is a stand-up comedian, writer, and actor who lives in Los Angeles. He is the proud father of Devery.From the Hardcover edition.
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
Showing 1-8 of 28 reviews
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
So I'd say buy it or you're no better than that scoundrel Nelson Mandela in my book
It's good and I'm glad I read it but the praise heaped on it by other reviewers seems a bit much. Norm is for my money the funniest man who ever lived. His podcast and his stand up are sublime. The book is good but I think something less contrived could be even better.
If you're not a fan of Norm, I have nothing to say to you. Move along.
Would you like to see more reviews about this item?