Format: DVD|Change

on 28 October 2001
My friend's son and daughter both love this film! I got them a copy from friends in the states. The animation is very lifelike, it combines the classicism of a world-renowned fairy tale with powerful music by The London Symphony Orchestra.
You'll love Barbie and the Nutcracker!
on 24 February 2002
I brought this video for my 3 yr old and she absolutely adores it! (Daddy & Mummy quite like it to). However, I do know a few 3 yr olds who were frightened of King Mouse on first viewing, therefore you should sit with them just in case. Tim Curry's voice is instantly recognisable to anyone who has seen The Rocky Horror Show and he is by far the most impressive of all the characters. Can be sickly sweet at times, but that's what little girls love. Need to watch it a few times to really enjoy it, especially Pimm, who comes out with some great one liners. Clear your room as all the girls seem to want to copy the ballet moves on every viewing.
on 21 November 2001
I bought this film for my two little girls who are Barbie crazy, I thought that it was going to be a cartoon, but i was very surprised and pleased that it was not. The grahpics are wonderful ...Its so for little girls with sugar and spice and all things nice, with a bit of slug and snails thrown in ,in the form of the mouse king booh!!!..From Start to finish my children and I where ingrossed the music is beauitfuly done as is the whole movie with fairys everywhere..It makes you want to be a little girl again, I recomend this movie for the children mummys and daddys. But one word of warning once they have seen the movie they WILL want the toys , perfect timeing for christmas......
on 26 December 2001
This was so much better than we'd expected! The animation's good, the music's good, the story has all the right elements for its target audience. It's slightly too long, maybe, there are 'boring bits'(to quote our 3yr old daughter) with soldiers in, but all in all it's a nice way to spend an hour with your little kid.
on 9 November 2001
the thought of a 13 yr-old going to see a movie about barbie is rather odd but i enjoyed this movie thoroughly even though i have no passion for ballet or barbies.
with the classic plot of 'the nutcracker' and stunning choreography this movie provides entertainment for all children, young and old and all ballet lovers.
maybe this movie is not meant for the parents however as the plot is well known for them and the entire fairy tale story is just slightly boring afet about 45 minutes.
on the whole i would say that this movie is great, especially since it is barbie's first!
on 25 November 2014
A lovely film but don't make the mistake we did and think this is a remake of the 2001 Barbie Nutcracker. It is simply being released again this Christmas. Now we have it twice!
on 11 January 2003
If you have young children who like ballet and Barbie, this is just the ticket for them. The animation is excellent and the music is very well chosen and executed. Our daughters were a bit apprehensive about the mouse at first !!! He's a very well portrayed character and a pretty nasty guy.
on 2 November 2010
That may sound a bit presumptous, but I am completely serious. I have watched all the Barbie movies - mostly as guilty pleasures - and, in my opinion, this one is still the best.

I ought to tell you now, though; this isn't the original Nutcracker story. Barbie's version is more of an adventure story, dealing with Clara and Nutcracker's journey to defeat the Mouse King by finding the Sugar Plum Princess. Any devoted ballet fan can probably spot the differences right there, but it's still a fun story with some interesting characters. They even manage to feature some dancing scenes and Tchaikovsky's music.

The animation is not perfect, but it's watchable enough, and the voice acting is great; Tim Curry, Christopher Gaze and Kelly Sheridan are particular highlights. For people who aren't too keen on the cutesy aspect of later Barbie movies, this one manages to make a story which appeals to young girls without feeling the need to feature talking animals or sparkles - not until the end, anyway.

If you are going to give any Barbie movie a chance, make it this one. Just be careful if you've got really small kids, though; the Mouse King has been known to frighten some children.
on 4 January 2015
Having had this on video as a child well over 10 years ago, I remember the joy it used to bring me, and it introduced me to the world of classical music and ballet. Now nearly 19 years old I still, guiltly, love this film. The stunning - if not a bit dated - animations, the good script and beautiful pleasing story, matched with the musical genius of Tchaikovsky makes this film one of my all time favourites and I recommend it definitely to any little boy or girl, but also to any adults in need of an easy cheesy happy film. Love it!
on 4 April 2015
Me and my sister used to watch this all the time! And acting it out with our old barbie dolls and dressing up as the sugar plum princess. I love this product so much: the graphics are much better than expected, sound is very clear and the story is just as good as I remember. I bought this along with two other barbie DVDs and now i'm determined to get a barbie film collection (the ones with Kelly Sheridan as these are from my childhood) along with getting all the disney classics.