H. C. Bankole-Bright and Politics in Colonial Sierra Leone, 1919-1958 (African Studies) Paperback – 11 Dec 2003
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
"Written by Akintola J.G. Wyse, one of Sierra Leone's most prolific historians..." American Historical Review
This substantial and thoroughly documented book is a political biography of an important figure in Sierra Leone. It is also a comment on two of the major themes of the country's history - the relations between the Colony (Krio society) and the Protectorate (the earlier inhabitants of the territory) and, more importantly, the position of the imperial regime vis-á-vis its colonial subjects.See all Product Description
Top Customer Reviews
In the elegant style of a real scholar, Professor Wyse has written a most fascinating tale including all the major players in this quadripartite story involving the local officials, the Colonial Office, the Protectorate and of course Bankole-Bright himself and his Krio cohorts such as Beoku-Betts and Wallace-Johnson.
For the general reader who has no knowledge of Sierra Leone history, this is a good introduction that gives a face to one of several important players. The ample notes, index and bibliography would be of great use to the scholar as well.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > History > Britain & Ireland > Edwardian and Early 20th Century 1901-1913
- Books > History > Britain & Ireland > Inter-war Period 1919-1938
- Books > History > Countries & Regions > Africa > Western
- Books > History > Essays, Journals, Letters & True Accounts > 20th Century
- Books > History > Europe > Early 20th Century 1901-1913
- Books > History > Europe > Inter-war Period 1919-1938
- Books > History > North America > Early 20th Century 1901-1913
- Books > History > North America > Inter-war Period 1919-1938
- Books > History > World History > 1901-1913
- Books > History > World History > Inter-war Period 1919-1938
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Government & Politics > Countries & Regions > Africa