Format: Paperback|Change

on 8 January 2014
This is a lively book and gives an excellent overview of the music scene from the mid 1950s to the present day.

Bob Henrit, born in 1944, mastered the art of playing the washboard by the age of 12. After graduating to drums, he was soon playing for Adam Faith's backing band, The Roulettes. He then went on to play with Unit 4 Plus 2, (he was responsible for the famous cowbell), became a founder member of Argent, the 70s prog-rock group and eventually played with many greats, including Don McLean, Ritchie Havens and Ray and Dave Davies of The Kinks.

As well as playing drums, writing in music magazines about drums, having his own drum store for a while, and taking part in drum workshops, Bob has also invented drum related items including a drum kit that packs into two bags. You could say that drums have definitely played a large part in Bob's life. (Or rather, that Bob has played the drums that have played a large part in his life).

He turns 70 this year and is still playing, and he does his turn at the London Kinks Fan Club Convention every November.

Packed with anecdotes and photos, this book is a detailed autobiography of a well-played life in music.
on 16 December 2013
Mr Henrit and be proud of this book. We waited a long time but it is well worth it. The story of the ups and downs in the life of one of the World's best drummers,told in a way that makes it like having a conversation with the man himself. From being the guy at the back on stage with Adam Faith in The Roulettes, through Argent and more to The Kinks and on to the present day, this is a roller coaster of a life and career, Bob has been associated with so many "names" throughout the years that you really can't keep count.Would you believe that one of the most "famous" drummers in the world would hire another drummer to play on his solo album...Who? well, buy the book and find out!

A "must read" for anyone interested in British music (Rock and Pop)over the past 50 years. God Gave Rock and Roll to You, but Bob Henrit is the power behind it! Really wish and hope there can be a volume 2, because I'm sure there is a lot more to come.
on 26 December 2013
Bob Henrit's accounting of his life history as one of the greatest Rock and Roll Drummers, is hugely entertaining, and very well written. There were moments where I laughed, then cried, found out things too....ah well in the telling of much there is exquisite good taste!
I wasn't sure if I could read this from cover to cover, well, I read it in 5 days, not because it is an 'easy read' rather it is because there is so much that got my attention.
Hearing his telling of stories I already have heard, this time from his perspective, was the selling point, yet there is a lot more than meets the eye, as such. If I had to say which books are my favourites, of the musical autobiographical nature, well, this is it for me. Bob Henrit writes like the educated man he is, so there is nothing that is in any way lacking in taste, or sophistication in his narrative. In my opinion, one of the reasons he has lasted so long with health and sanity intact is through the strong discipline he practices, in all that he has taken on. On paper at least, he has taken many of the music businesses disappointments remarkably well, and I am sure many who will read this will agree. I hope that there will be more to come, in another volume, maybe? Glad this arrived in time to be one of my Christmas presents, thank you Bob!
on 26 March 2014
Looking at the synopsis on the back cover I thought it was my life ; growing up in Hertfordshire commuting 9 miles to a Catholic college ( in my case Watford and St. Albans). Reading the book, it also seems that we had a whole load of acquaintances in common. As a young drummer back in the early 60`s I was always impressed by Bob`s playing, he seemed a cut above the rest; a tidy , interesting player! Through the mid 70`s his shop in Wardour Street had a lot of money out of me. Well, two Pearl sets worth anyway. The shop always had a nice vibe but now I think about it I don`t think I ever saw Bob there! This book is extremely well written, witty and concise. Bob has really honed his writing skills over the years. An excellent job, not just for drummers (although they should read it) but for anybody that was around at that time or who has an interest in the burgeoning British rock music scene of the mid to late 20th century. It`s also good to know that HE`S STILL HERE AND STILL DOING IT!
on 19 January 2014
I have always been a fan of the great British master drummer, Bob Henrit, so I eagerly awaited his book being released. This book did not disappoint at all. It gives an insight to the man himself, his life story and up-bringing, his family life, and most of all, his career in the Rock & Roll industry and drum sales and development. An Excellent read.
on 16 March 2014
I just love this great book from Bob Henrit... it is truly interesting, funny and informative and a great read. Bob's sense of humour and the stories of scams, hotel room re-arranging, collages (you will have to read it!) and 'the rock 'n roll' lifestyle make it a 10/10 for me! Bob brings the stories and history to life with his personal account and subtle details that can only be captured through the eyes and experience of Bob being there. There are not many books that I read more than once, but I will read this again and again!
on 8 January 2014
I bought this long awaited book as a keen follower of Robert's career with Argent, Phoenix and The Kinks. I'm pleased to report that it has been a worthwhile purchase, providing lots of interesting anecdotes of his experiences in these bands as well as filling in the gaps about his childhood, his introduction to drums and percussion and turning professional with Adam Faith's Roulettes in his early teens. Bob's impressive portfolio of session work is included as well as other activities such as opening his own drumstore, developing and designing drums and writing product reviews for major music industry journals. Bob's noted sense of humour is present throughout his writing and whilst the book occasionally jumps out of sequence, usually to squeeze in a related future or past incident, this in no way detracts from the work as a whole. Any like-minded fans of the bands listed earlier will particularly enjoy it.
on 19 April 2014
Bob is a nice guy and an awesome drummer. To read his various ramblings was a great pleasure. It's a good story, stretching over MANY decades (the old boy will be 70 in May 2014!). Highly recommended! Rob Vernon, April 2014
on 2 February 2014
A really interesting story of a rock and roll lifestyle, viewed from back seat in the house. Bob also gives a clear insite into the changing world of, life,transport,recording and management/record company inner workings.
on 28 February 2014
Took me back many years and also up to date....would have liked more on Roulettes and their musicianship , but excellent read I felt.
Covers rather a lot so needed to possibly cut bits down I suspect..A genuine personal account from a great drummer and pretty good book writer!